• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too early to ask about renewal ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too early to ask about renewal ??

4 months into a 6 month gig, do you think its too early to ask about renewal. Usually I would leave till the month before but this time I need to know whats happening as if they dont renew I need to have a another contract lined up straight away to go to (due to mortgage cirmcumstances).
    Usually I leave it till then tell me but this is my first 6 months with this client

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    4 months into a 6 month gig, do you think its too early to ask about renewal. Usually I would leave till the month before but this time I need to know whats happening as if they dont renew I need to have a another contract lined up straight away to go to (due to mortgage cirmcumstances).
    Usually I leave it till then tell me but this is my first 6 months with this client
    Dont sound desperate - you will stand no chance of a rate rise. They might even think they can cut your rate!

Ask informally 6 weeks before - I know my boss likes a 6 week reminder. Ask formally about 4 weeks before.

But at ClientCo it takes 2 weeks for paperwork so others may recommend less!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Dont sound desperate - you will stand no chance of a rate rise. They might even think they can cut your rate!

Ask informally 6 weeks before - I know my boss likes a 6 week reminder. Ask formally about 4 weeks before.

But at ClientCo it takes 2 weeks for paperwork so others may recommend less!
      Yeah I thought 2 months might make me sound desperate, will hold off a few more weeks, usually I dont care but mortgage company want to know I have 3 months contract to run on the day I'm due to complete which is 2 days after I finish here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
        Yeah I thought 2 months might make me sound desperate, will hold off a few more weeks, usually I dont care but mortgage company want to know I have 3 months contract to run on the day I'm due to complete which is 2 days after I finish here.
        There is never any harm in looking round - you might get a rise!

But how many contracts will wait 2 months? I usually find 1 month is maximum. 2 weeks the norm. And some expect immediate.

Comment

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave previously.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/406999-post3.html

Comment

So do I, if I gave one, which I usually do.

Comment

No harm in asking ahead of time.

I usually quote some delays in 'getting the paperwork sorted last time' in order to avoid sounding to keen.

Comment

Think I will mention it in passing tomorrow as the manager is in uk at moment but goes back to the states on Friday. I'm not worried I'm fortunate plenty of work out there but current gig is good money and very easy

Comment

Working...
                X