• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blackwashed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackwashed

The Lions never really looked like winning a test, except for the first five minutes last week.

Still, the only other thing New Zealand have ever had to cheer about is Sir Edmund Hilary.

and a great lifestyle
    and the ability to come over to England for a few years and make tons of money to spend there
    and the outdoors
    and the food
    and stress-free working environments
    and great, varied scenery
    and... lots more

but yes it was great to see that a 4 million people nation can find the resources to win against the whole of the UK + Ireland!!
    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

lifestyle

Firstly, it was a successful tour for the Lions - we got that straight from Sir Clive Woodward's mouth on TV.

Secondly, if the UK and Ireland concentrated on a single sport like they do in NZ, they would be better at it. But, in England at least, rugby still comes down the long list of sports we do, even after England won the world cup. In my whole life, nobody has ever asked me what rugby team I support.

Lastly, cheer if you like, but you don't have to go to two god-forsaken islands at the ends of the earth to find fantastic scenery, good food and all the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        if the UK and Ireland concentrated on a single sport like they do in NZ, they would be better at it.
        I thought they weren't bad at cricket either?
        Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Bit of balance

but yes it was great to see that a 4 million people nation can find the resources to win against the whole of the UK + Ireland!![/QUOTE]

Let us put this into perspective. Rugby is played in England mainly by middle class people who quite frankly have better things to do than become professional rugby players. Although the playing base in England is high, one needs to understand that the vast majority of players are "social" players who use rugby more as a leisure and social activity rather than as a route to a career. Most rugby players do not aspire to playing for their country.

Ask any Kiwi, Aussie or South African and they will tell you exactly what grade they have played in cricket, rugby, hockey or fiddling with yourself. All sport is "benchmarked", and little is played on a social basis. Rugby is not a path to millions in the way that football is to chavs. In New Zealand every sad little kid is indoctrinated into wanting to become an All Black.

If you do not play or support rugby in New Zealand you really dont fit in, which is why the inetersting ones (or is that two) tend to come over here to get a perspective on life that only the Europeans have to offer.

You may point out what a wonderful place NZ is, but it is completely wasted on New Zealanders.
          Last edited by DodgyAgent; 11 July 2005, 13:40.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            Secondly, if the UK and Ireland concentrated on a single sport like they do in NZ, they would be better at it.
            What...you mean like how England concentrates on soccer? And we all know how great the English Soccer team is

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
              What...you mean like how England concentrates on soccer? And we all know how great the English Soccer team is

Mailman
              http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statisti...n-2005,00.html

I think 7th of 205 is pretty respectable.

HTH
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Actually, England have a very good football team. It's not easy to consistently reach quarters and semis of major tournaments (and in one occasion, even win it) when every country in the world plays football.

And I'm not english, so the "biased" argument is out.

Comment

Mmmm... DA, Gunman and Pinto, this sounds to me like a poor excuse to explain defeat. Contrary to popular belief, not every Kiwi (can't speak for the Saffos but I know for a fact this is true of the Aussies too) want to become a rugby player (thank God! My school was next to a big rugby-playing school and those guys were horrible)

Also an Aussie colleague of mine just here tells me that even at soccer Australia are better than England as the last time they played, Australia won. Can't comment on that but he seems pretty sure of this fact.

Anyway, DA, what you say is correct but the only valid conclusion to your piece is that English men are not as sporty as Antipodeans. I would agree especially given the number of, errr..., shall we say, well-fed looking men here ;-) (was especially true in Nottingham, more so than London)
                  Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Excuse me but don't New Zealand pick the best players from pretty much the whole of the Pacific Ocean islands? There was talk of putting together a Pacific team for the Tri-Nations which would put the All Blacks back to a similar level to Argentina.

Any, most people just assume people from New Zealand are Aussies anyway.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                    X