• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Obesity - who gives a <add own choice of expletive>

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obesity - who gives a <add own choice of expletive>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7254589.stm

I don't know about you but "so what" or "yawn" is my reaction to such tulipe

<
    there are fears that this will contribute to a rising trend in adult obesity, heart disease and stroke in years to come.
    >

Really, does this keep anyone awake at night?
    Are the fears that the NHS will cost more in 20 years time? Maybe if the government stopped wasting tax revenues this wouldn't be a problem.

If we really are going to have too many obese people in the UK why not bring in underweight immigrants to solve the problem?
    If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Not me, or my avatar. Next.

Comment

Surely fat people are doing the state a service by dying early? No pension or other benefits to pay, no care home space to provide, inheritance tax collected earlier, etc?

Comment

Where can I get a copy of Hypertension? It sounds a right riveting read...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

People dying early should be encouraged - it will give the planet a chance to recover...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            People dying early should be encouraged - it will give the planet a chance to recover...
            They usually arrange a big war to cull the numbers.

As for salt, I'm not a big fan myself. I certainly rarely add it onto food, seeing as there's already so much of it already included. Maybe because of that I have a low tolerance to salt, in that many ready meals are too salty for me to enjoy. Shame some salt seems necessary for the body to run properly. I do get the odd cramp in the calves now and again, which is either salt deficiency (so I'm told), or maybe DVT!

As for obese, surely that's an occupational hazard in IT where we barely move all day. More so for the typical contractor staying in b&bs or hotels, who unless 'he' is willing to frequently sit in a restaurant alone, will resort to fast food which is also usually junk food. Even a lot of the restaurant or hotel food is hardly light in calories.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              They usually arrange a big war to cull the numbers.

As for salt, I'm not a big fan myself. I certainly rarely add it onto food, seeing as there's already so much of it already included. Maybe because of that I have a low tolerance to salt, in that many ready meals are too salty for me to enjoy. Shame some salt seems necessary for the body to run properly. I do get the odd cramp in the calves now and again, which is either salt deficiency (so I'm told), or maybe DVT!

As for obese, surely that's an occupational hazard in IT where we barely move all day. More so for the typical contractor staying in b&bs or hotels, who unless 'he' is willing to frequently sit in a restaurant alone, will resort to fast food which is also usually junk food. Even a lot of the restaurant or hotel food is hardly light in calories.
              Cramp in the calves, I used to get that quite often, since finding out that I am diabetic and being on medication to control blood sugar level I haven't had cramps in over a year.
              Are you 1. middle-aged ? 2. overweight ? 3. Often thirsty ? Some of these ?
              Maybe the cramps are a symptom of something else, don't want to depress you, honest....
              If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
                Cramp in the calves, I used to get that quite often, since finding out that I am diabetic and being on medication to control blood sugar level I haven't had cramps in over a year.
                Are you 1. middle-aged ? 2. overweight ? 3. Often thirsty ? Some of these ?
                Maybe the cramps are a symptom of something else, don't want to depress you, honest....

Maybe it is. Ignorance is bliss. A bit of cramp won't kill me, but the underlying problem might!

I have relatives (not immediate family) who are diabetics, some in very bad condition because they didn't use the insulin properly, such as eating as much as they wanted then just using more insulin afterwards. Last time I was tested (admittedly a few years ago now) I was fine.

Does the panel think diabetes is so prevalent these days because of a dodgy gene pool or bad diet? Either way I may be screwed!
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

Does the panel think diabetes is so prevalent these days because of a dodgy gene pool or bad diet? Either way I may be screwed!
                  Bad diet.

Lots of people have dodgy genes but historically people shouldn't be getting type 2 diabetes until they are OAPs if they have a genetic predisposition to it.

It's the fact that teenagers are getting it which is causing alarm.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Bad diet.

Lots of people have dodgy genes but historically people shouldn't be getting type 2 diabetes until they are OAPs if they have a genetic predisposition to it.

It's the fact that teenagers are getting it which is causing alarm.

Is it too much sugar that makes the diet bad in this case?

Whilst I like a teaspoon of sugar in my tea and coffee, I don't class myself as a sweet-tooth anymore, certainly not since I was a kid. Enjoy the odd cake or dessert, but only once or twice a month.

So whilst I know I'm not getting 5 a day (I can't imagine many people do) I don't think my diet is that bad or seriously unbalanced.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X