• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sorry about those rendition flights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry about those rendition flights

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7256587.stm

From David Milliband:

What he said
    He said he was "very sorry" to have to say that previous denials made in "good faith" were now having to be corrected.
    What he thought
    shite - it's breaking in tonights Evening Standard!!
    Good faith my left testicle!!
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Who gives a toss?

So a plane landed in some backwater that england is only the boss of in name...big deal!

What the real issue here is how come America has to clean everyone elses messes up? And when did the Wests collective back bone get replaced with this soft white mushy stuff?

Yeah, boo hoo to you!

Mailman

Comment

Everyone elses mess? That's a can of worms right there.

Anyways, apparently the US shares the UK's regret so everyones as weak as each other.

It's only fair...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
        Who gives a toss?

So a plane landed in some backwater that england is only the boss of in name...big deal!

What the real issue here is how come America has to clean everyone elses messes up? And when did the Wests collective back bone get replaced with this soft white mushy stuff?

Yeah, boo hoo to you!

Mailman
        That would be "clean up" defined as "torture people we think may be up to no good in the name of freedom but not have the guts to own up to it or do it on our own soil" presumably

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          That would be "clean up" defined as "torture people we think may be up to no good in the name of freedom but not have the guts to own up to it or do it on our own soil" presumably
          You say that like it is a BAD thing!!

Can't make an omelette without breaking eggs you know

HTH
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Three quarters of the crap a lot of you post on here can be considered torture

Oh boo hoo, he looked at me funny, thats torture! Oh boo hoo, I had to read a posting of guru...thats torture!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
              Three quarters of the crap a lot of you post on here can be considered torture

Oh boo hoo, he looked at me funny, thats torture! Oh boo hoo, I had to read a posting of guru...thats torture!

Mailman
              Are you a Redneck Septic? or just a wannabe? I didn't know Chuck Norris posted on here.

Comment

That's the real problem - when our Govt says it was an honest mistake, we believe them.

But if the Russians or China did this, we'd be in uproar.

Quite sad actually, as we should know from our history that this sort of thing happens all the time, just look at the Potato Famine, Arrow Incident, the Opium Wars, and that's not even mentioning the decades slavery for millions of Africans.

I think the real question is, do we back our Govt even when they behave like this, or do we continue to believe their 'honest mistakes'?

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7256587.stm

From David Milliband:

What he said

What he thought

Good faith my left testicle!!

Comment

Originally posted by BankingContractor View Post
                  That's the real problem - when our Govt says it was an honest mistake, we believe them.
                  After 10 years of spin you might... but I suspect you could be in a minority
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Well that's just it - I don't don't believe our Govt, they've taken spin to a new level.

My worry is that most people do think mistakes by world leaders are different - we accept that even if Blair is wrong, "he genuinely believed what he did was right", blah blah blah.

Look at Abu Graib for example, we expect these soldiers to behave in a certain way, but look at the culture and attitude of soldiers in this country - hardly model citizens, just go to any barrack town on a Fri/Sat night, why should it be different elsewhere?

I think we long for the 'good old days', but that's all past us now.

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    After 10 years of spin you might... but I suspect you could be in a minority

Comment

Working...
                    X