• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Birth Certificate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birth Certificate

As I recall, to get a copy of your birth certificate you had to go to the town hall where you were born and registered with some official paperwork, i.e. passport and they would give you a copy. I now need a copy (the last one seems to have done a Lucan) but living abroad makes it somewhat difficult to go to (cough cough) Chelmsford. Is there anyway I can do this another way, search the I'net and RTFM'ed but no answers there?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Found this:
    http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/or...--and--pay.asp

Some of the pages on the side may help you.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That's what I used when I the birth certificates and marriage certificate disappeared during a house move.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What if you lost all your paperwork, say in a fire? They just take your word for it or do you have to produce a relative and their docs?

We keep hearing in the news about how people obtain fake IDs, usually by getting a birth certificate of someone deceased. Is it so easy as filling in a form and sending it off?
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

We keep hearing in the news about how people obtain fake IDs, usually by getting a birth certificate of someone deceased. Is it so easy as filling in form and sending it off?

Yes.

Well it was last time I had to get a copy of my birth certificate in person and asking other people they say the same thing.

They've just made it more difficult using your birth certificate as ID as rarely is it accepted as ID for anything unless you are under 18.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks a lot for that, exactly what I needed.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Just write them a nice letter asking for a new one. Nobody that was not 100% genuine would fess up to being born in Chelmsford.

HTH
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I was told the same by the passport office when I lost my british birth certificate (British citizen born in South Africa), that I had to apply in person, with my father, to Liverpool and bring in the passport I was brought into the country on.

So I never bothered

Years later when I was registering the birth of my little un, I mentioned it to the registrar, and she gave me a phone number to call.

I phoned them, and one over the phone switch card payment of 12 quid later a new one was in the post and I was able to get a passport

Get in touch with your place of births local Birth registrar and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Frederick Forsyth can tell you all about it

This is, of course, the basis of the plot of Day of the Jackal (pub 1972) and is still the case today.

There was a programme on last year about it. The reporting journo asked for a copy of Frederick Forsyth's birth certificate from the appropriate registrar, got it, and used it to obtain a UK passport in the name of Frederick Forsyth. They then confronted the man himself over dinner with a friend in a restaurant Watchdog style as if it was all his fault for highlighting the loophole in the first place. He was rather bemused and somewhat annoyed, unsurprisingly.

Comment

Explains why there's so many numpties with my name on FaceBook, yet I've never met anyone with even the same surname (outside my family!) in real life.

Though I did once get mistaken for the ex-husband of some bint that visited the office I was contracting at. She even came over asking what I was doing there. Apparently I was a spitting image, which took me back a bit. I never even asked if she fancied a 'trip down memory lane' I was so stunned.

Maybe one day I'll wake up all Jason Bourne style, or my parents have yet to tell me about my long lost twin brother, who also seems to have the same lack of luck with his women.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X