• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serious question (for a change)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious question (for a change)

I have a plan b running at the moment. Generates £50K of income before tax. However, although it is Internet based, it requires a lot of time answering sales calls, enquiries and actually providing the service.

This work has been carried out by the Mrs and a friend. Now the friend wants to quit and with Mrs has too much on her plate. My time is torn between contracting and plan b, and to be honest the SAP gravy train is very juicy.

I could hire someone to do the work for me, but at today's cost of living, the wages would no doubt eat all the money and I'd be mired in New Labour employment red-tape and taxes ().

So, do I give up, sell the business (any suggestion on selling a business), or what?

Any thoughts on when plan b takes up more time than plan a, but pays less?

Yours,

DimPrawn ()

Is there not an option of expanding plan B to a point where employment is a viable option?
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Any thoughts on when plan b takes up more time than plan a, but pays less?
      ()
      I would think that it is providing less income per hr than plan a and should therefore be eliminated from your business. Best to sell it on I would think.
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        it requires a lot of time answering sales calls, enquiries and actually providing the service.
        Upgrade the site, replacing the phone no with a New! Live! Messaging! Service! - continue to ride the gravy train while responding to customer queries in an IRC fashion.
        Farm out the service provision to a cheap jobshop if possible.
        PM me the site URL if you like and I'll see if there are any obvious problems.

Comment

Thought about virtual assistants?

https://getfriday.com/index.php
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

Good call.

Comment

Any way of taking things off Mrs Prawn's plate so she can devote more time to your plan B?

Comment

Originally posted by basshead View Post
                Any way of taking things off Mrs Prawn's plate so she can devote more time to your plan B?
                She's got a plan a, we've both got a plan c and plan b is definately off the plate now.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  Good call.
                  Thanks - I should really become an affiliate for Get friday

Mods - are affiliate links allowed in the forum? (hey - if you don't ask you don't know right?)
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

TTK Services Pvt. Ltd is a company of the TTK Group, a conglomerate with a turnover of over Rs. 6 billion and presence across India and several overseas markets.

Nice try, but UK customers being dealt with Indian staff? I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                    X