• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NuLab - Go away Aussies !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NuLab - Go away Aussies !

From the Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...1/nvisa121.xml

Britain may abolish ancestry visa
    By Philip Johnston, Home Affairs Editor
    Last Updated: 4:23pm GMT 21/02/2008

Britain is proposing to sever its historic ties to tens of thousands of Commonwealth nationals who have an automatic right through descent to live and work here.

The small print of this week’s Home Office green paper charting new pathways to citizenship suggests the ancestry visa might be abolished.

The visa enables people aged 17 or over whose grandparents were born in the UK to come for four years and eventually apply to stay.

It is used mainly by young Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans coming to Britain to work and as a base to explore Europe.

The ancestry provisions were introduced in 1972 after legislation the previous year overhauled Commonwealth citizenship rights

Those entering under the UK ancestry route have free access to the labour market on entry.

However, the Government is in the process of introducing a points-based system for work permits and tougher rules for obtaining citizenship.

The green paper says: "We need to decide whether a Commonwealth national’s ancestral connections to the UK are sufficient to allow them to come here to work without the need to satisfy a resident labour market test."

The paper, which is open for consultation, asks: '"Do you think the UK ancestry route should be abolished?"

In a letter to The Daily Telegraph, Austin Mitchell, Labour MP for Great Grimsby, says the proposal shows a "contempt for the long historic associations between Britain, New Zealand and Australia."

He adds: "We should have serious doubts about the judgment of ministers and officials who are willing to stir up the feelings of bitterness and betrayal which will be provoked by their unthinking lack of concern for historic ties which so many of us value, here as well as there."

In 2006. around 8,500 ancestry visa holders came to the UK and around 20,000 Commonwealth citizens have applied for settlement since 2002 Mr Mitchell last night said he proposed to table a Commons motion to increase pressure on Ministers to drop the idea.

"What is happening here is that in a general rush to make ourselves European, we are trying to shrug off our Commonwealth commitments."
    What have New Zealand and Australia ever done for us? Apart from getting thousands of their young men killed in WW1, WW2.

Still no room for sentiment in our glorious EUtopia.

Would our Aussie, Kiwis, Saffies friends care to comment?

Meh
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

I think that all visa arrangements should be reciprocal, so I think the ancestral visa should go.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        I think that all visa arrangements should be reciprocal
        I tend to agree on a philosophical level. However this will not immediately address the skills shortages in each country (UK needs more IT workers, Oz needs more hairdressers).

Although if the system was more open then maybe these skills gaps would be filled more easily.

Need to be careful not to swap all the old for young, which is what happens with UK and Spain, France, etc.
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

We don't need them anymore now all the bars in London are staffed by eastern europeans.

How I miss the days when you didn't have to repeat yourself three times before the bar staff understand what you are asking for

Comment

I think it would be a shame, it also seems to be counter productive. If the UK wants Poles instead of Aussies and Kiwis, its their perogative, but seems to send a serious message about the end of the commonwealth bond.

I dont think a reciprocal agreement is very relevant... know many brits with a NZ grandparent?

You can apply for a holiday work visa to NZ , and they are always undersubscribed. Aus is obviously more popular, so not sure of the situation there.

Comment

Sod 'em.

I'm 1/4 Ozzie. Does that entitle me to work down under? Does it hell.

Australia doesn't reciprocate the UK ancestry visa, so why should we! (OK, it's quite unusual to be claiming ancestry in Australia, but it's the principle!)
              Cats are evil.

Comment

The commonwealth citizens that come here can speak English and have to support themselves without any recourse to the benefits system.

Unfortunately, they are the last people that our government want immigrating here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

How I miss the days when you didn't have to repeat yourself three times before the bar staff understand what you are asking for
                  Maybe you are drinking more these daze Gonz?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                    Maybe you are drinking more these daze Gonz?

Yes, maybe when I said the old days I actually meant 6pm rather than 10pm.

Comment

Working...
                    X