• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the BBC 'Have Your Say' site representative?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the BBC 'Have Your Say' site representative?

I generally check the BBC news site once or twice a day, and sometimes delve into the murk that is the 'Have Your Say' site, where The People can comment on the issues of the day.

For every topic, I guarantee I can predict the prevailing opinion, particularly the tone of the top 'reader's recommended' posts.

Now I'm fairly conservative (big and small C), and tend towards a moderately libertarian viewpoint, but it seems that 90% of respondents on HYS are at least as right wing as me, and many of them far more so.

If this was a true reflection of the thoughts and feelings of the populace, then the Labour party would be unelectable, the BNP would have a fair crack of getting into Downing Street and sales of the Daily Mail would exceed all other newspapers combined.

Why is this?

Is it because Labour voters are too busy in the pub/betting shop or watching Trisha?

Is it that people who use the Internet are generally more right-leaning?

I'm quite perplexed by this.

Any ideas?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/default.stm

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but what if BBC only published the right wing posts?
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Because it's only right wing people who can ever be bothered to post.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Maybe the rabid right wingers have more time on their hands? I doubt anyone who frequents betting shops or watches Trisha has ever bothered to vote let alone have any political opinions that they feel strong enough about to post on t'internet. They may be able to tell you the winner of the 3:20 at Utoxeter though
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
          I'm not into conspiracy theories, but what if BBC only published the right wing posts?
          Possible, but what would be the point? It just gives the impression that everyone hates Labour.

BTW are you dead now then? Was there an explosion in the lab or something?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            Possible, but what would be the point? It just gives the impression that everyone hates Labour.

BTW are you dead now then? Was there an explosion in the lab or something?
            Brillo killed me. Tragic I know.
            Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Because it's only right wing people who can ever be bothered to post.
              Yes. I suspect it's just demographics at work.

Probably more retired people moaning, err posting, than younger working people.

However, you do get the occasional Dave Spart type (usually from Sunderland or somewhere equally godforsaken) defending the 'people's party'.

I love it when the BBC mods have to trawl through all the posts so they can have two opposing/balanced comments on the lead topic - since %90+ of posts are all of the same opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                Brillo killed me. Tragic I know.
                My sincere condolences old chap.

Anyway, I think there should be more ghosts on the forum to keep the daleks at bay.

I'm looking at the Guardian's blog/comment thing now. Not as right-wing as HYS but not far off. Where are all the lefties?

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  I generally check the BBC news site once or twice a day, and sometimes delve into the murk that is the 'Have Your Say' site, where The People can comment on the issues of the day.

For every topic, I guarantee I can predict the prevailing opinion, particularly the tone of the top 'reader's recommended' posts.

Now I'm fairly conservative (big and small C), and tend towards a moderately libertarian viewpoint, but it seems that 90% of respondents on HYS are at least as right wing as me, and many of them far more so.

If this was a true reflection of the thoughts and feelings of the populace, then the Labour party would be unelectable, the BNP would have a fair crack of getting into Downing Street and sales of the Daily Mail would exceed all other newspapers combined.

Why is this?

Is it because Labour voters are too busy in the pub/betting shop or watching Trisha?

Is it that people who use the Internet are generally more right-leaning?

I'm quite perplexed by this.

Any ideas?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/default.stm
                  I think most of the lefties post on guardiantalk. Or are playing online gambling/bingo. Or youtube. Or watching big brother.

Lets face it most A/B vote Conservative and most D/E vote Labour. It is only the C1/C2 who really vary.

Comment

I get the same impression reading CEEFAX letters, although I also have the impression that most of them are written by ancient old retired farts like myself with nowt better to do. A few too many mentioning their pathetic pension increases.

PS Not that I personally have nothing better to do, I spent today staring at a bit of the wall I have not stared at in ages.

PS I am 32
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X