• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heron. How did he do it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heron. How did he do it?

OK Boys & Girls

How did he do it? Imagine:

* netting over the pond surface (holes no more than an inch)

*6 foot canes all round the pond

*green string linking each cane together effectively making a circle of string all the way round the pond all the way up the cane to the top - this should stop Mr Heron 'walking' into the pond.

*green string zig zagged all across the top of the pond - this should stop him flying into the pond

*green string in front of the water fall (just in case he is thinking of walking down the waterfall)

*Mr Heron is standing with his BOTH 'feet' through the netting that is over the top of the pond with 'feet' on the pond bottom

* Mr Heron is a bl***y big bird - takes off like Concord used to

This is your 'starter for 10'

Me & the GF put up the obsticle middle of December 07 when said heron got into the pond so Mr Heron has clearly spent over 2 months thinking how do get in the pond - so how did he do it?! Who said 'birds' were dumb?!

I actually feel sorry for Mr Heron cos he got caught up in all of the string & netting trying to get out of the pond!

All help gratefully received
    sorry Diver I'm off the cigs again

Shoot the faqqer.

And then string it up.

It's the only way they'll learn.

We have woodpeckers that eat the Blue Tits eggs. I'm going to have to invest in an air rifle this year.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
      Shoot the faqqer.

And then string it up.

It's the only way they'll learn.

We have woodpeckers that eat the Blue Tits eggs. I'm going to have to invest in an air rifle this year.
      dont want to shoot the faqqer cos he's a good looking bird & the GF says he is probably hungry.
      sorry Diver I'm off the cigs again

Comment

You think Herons are clever, you want to try a Corvid or even worse a Cockatoo: a combination lock-pick, hacksaw, and pliers (that's just the beak) and the seriously bad attitude of a five year old child denied something.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Put a fake heron by the side of the pond.

They get into the pond by landing a short way away and walking in (landing in the water scares the fish away), so your trip wire needs to be fishinhg line at ankle height - make it too obvious and he'll simply push through it. Plus if he sees a "bird" already there, he'll keep away anyway.

I lost £2k's worth of carp to a heron once becuse I didn't know the above. Not my favourite birds....
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by fridge View Post
            I actually feel sorry for Mr Heron cos he got caught up in all of the string & netting trying to get out of the pond!
            I think that should be enough to scare that particular bird off. The problem is the constant mild winters mean they aren't getting culled naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
              We have woodpeckers that eat the Blue Tits eggs.
              Blimey. I bet that makes a hell of a mess.
              Last edited by dang65; 22 February 2008, 11:06. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by fridge View Post
                OK Boys & Girls

How did he do it? Imagine:

* netting over the pond surface (holes no more than an inch)

*6 foot canes all round the pond

*green string linking each cane together effectively making a circle of string all the way round the pond all the way up the cane to the top - this should stop Mr Heron 'walking' into the pond.

*green string zig zagged all across the top of the pond - this should stop him flying into the pond

*green string in front of the water fall (just in case he is thinking of walking down the waterfall)

*Mr Heron is standing with his BOTH 'feet' through the netting that is over the top of the pond with 'feet' on the pond bottom

* Mr Heron is a bl***y big bird - takes off like Concord used to

This is your 'starter for 10'

Me & the GF put up the obsticle middle of December 07 when said heron got into the pond so Mr Heron has clearly spent over 2 months thinking how do get in the pond - so how did he do it?! Who said 'birds' were dumb?!

All help gratefully received

I was sick of the fookers getting my carp, so I got a plastic European Eagle Owl (about 3 ft high) and have stuck him next to the pond. No heron has ever been back...but then again, I never really see any birds in the garden now to be honest...

HTH
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Working...
                X