• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This week's Grand Designs...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This week's Grand Designs...

How to turn £350k into a fecking big hole in the ground...

How to turn £350 more k into a German constructed and erected house...

And guess what?

The Brit side of it was nearly total incompetence.

House in Bath needs Bath stone cladding... guess which bit was missing by the end of the programme...

Just like normal then...

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Why are the Saxons in this country not as efficient as their counterparts in the Fatherland?
    That's racist - what's wrong with the Anglos???
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

I was most impressed with the house, particularily the insulation and the construction - or rather piecing together - of it. Had to laugh about the stone cladding - but it makes sense that what was left to the Brits failed miserably.

It has given me something to dream about. But I will leave off the stone.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        I was most impressed with the house, particularily the insulation and the construction - or rather piecing together - of it. Had to laugh about the stone cladding - but it makes sense that what was left to the Brits failed miserably.

It has given me something to dream about. But I will leave off the stone.
        What - and just have cardboard walls???
        If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

What I don't understand is why they didn't just buy an existing house on a much better plot than the one they ended up with and flatten the thing. On a budget of the 700K they could of found something better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            What I don't understand is why they didn't just buy an existing house on a much better plot than the one they ended up with and flatten the thing. On a budget of the 700K they could of found something better than that.
            This is Bath, a World Heritage site with te world's most paranoid planning committee (unless you're building the Bath Spa or are called Dyson, that is). These guys have Grade 2 listed a defunct (and singularly ugly) pair of gasometers. Knocking things down is rarely an option.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              This is Bath, a World Heritage site with te world's most paranoid planning committee (unless you're building the Bath Spa or are called Dyson, that is). These guys have Grade 2 listed a defunct (and singularly ugly) pair of gasometers. Knocking things down is rarely an option.
              They were a mile+ from the City Centre, I'm sure there must be some ropey 1950/60s brick built bungalows probably on big plots that you could replace with a stone building.

Comment

I just felt sorry for the poor sods in the house uphill from them.

18 months of construction. 60 concrete piles put in. And then their garden gets flushed into the hole on the construction site.
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Why are the Saxons in this country not as efficient as their counterparts in the Fatherland?
                  Because their builder counterparts in the Fatherland had more practice after the war.

Comment

They could have had a few BokLoks for that money....
                    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
                    X