• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breaking finance industry [yawn....]

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking finance industry [yawn....]

Before I get sarcy replies , yes I *have* done a CUK search, found odds and sods, just want to try and get a focussed view as there are a few IB-people here.

As I see it, potential tactics are;

1) Get a personal recommendation/introduction
    2) Go permie () first to build up the experience
    3) Get some finance training to prove you "know" the industry
    4) Pray fervently to whatever god you worship

So which (combination?) is most likely to succeed? I'm a PM not a developer (if that makes a difference.) I know things are iffy in the finance sector currently, but plan to start doing the required groundwork now for the future.

TIA

Originally posted by Tensai View Post

You are Wilmslow in disguise and I claim my £5. Begone with you.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      You are Wilmslow in disguise and I claim my £5. Begone with you.
      Don't you EVER insult me like that again

please... (I'm a well-brought up chap.)

Comment

Before I get sarcy replies , yes I *have* done a CUK search, found odds and sods, just want to try and get a focussed view as there are a few IB-people here.

As I see it, potential tactics are;

1) Get a personal recommendation/introduction
        3) Get some finance training to prove you "know" the industry
        4) Pray fervently to whatever god you worship

So which (combination?) is most likely to succeed? I'm a PM not a developer (if that makes a difference.) I know things are iffy in the finance sector currently, but plan to start doing the required groundwork now for the future.

TIA

On current team there are a few doing there first IB stint - all are very very good technically.
        I dont think training will help - but it wont hurt.
        Try to find a techie role or get lucky.
        Sometimes jobs are advertised as "no IB experience necessary".
        Be prepared for a low rate at first - but dont get taken for a ride by the agents.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          HTH
          He is a PM FFS.

Comment

Get a role through Xansa (Other insultancies are available) at one of their banking clients and gain the exposure there.

Comment

As a PM your best route in may be as a "testing manager" or some such similar role. Its a tulipe job to be doing in an IB but you won't need too much detailed product knowledge to start with but you'll pick that up anyway - as long as you can demonstrate you can manage a big spreadsheet on a daily basis you should be a good candidate!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                On current team there are a few doing there first IB stint - all are very very good technically.
                I dont think training will help - but it wont hurt.
                Sometimes jobs are advertised as "no IB experience necessary".
                Be prepared for a low rate at first - but dont get taken for a ride by the agents.

HTH
                Cheers for that. If you've got superlative techie skills then most places will overlook a lack of specific industry experience...

... for mere mortals that leaves a problem.

I'm in the Oil industry and they pay well here, so far from desperate. Just want to add strings to the bow.

Time to get the prayer mat out then.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Get a role through Xansa (Other insultancies are available) at one of their banking clients and gain the exposure there.
                  Nice idea, but they seem to have the same pre-requisites, I guess the banks don't want to get a noob in via a c*ntsultancy any more than they would via a contractor.

Comment

a daffodilsultancy

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X