• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear (naughty BTL'ers)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear (naughty BTL'ers)

tut tut
    I'm alright Jack

I think CGT is the one that a lot of amateur BTLers conveniently forget to put on their tax returns. A semi competent IR would catch these lot quite easily but I suspect they'll get away with it.

Comment

I can't believe many landlords are actually stupid enough to think they'd get away with it - especially the ones using managing agents.

I know HMRC is the Acme of incompetence, but the consequences of not declaring substantial amounts of rental income year upon year are severe indeed (ending in gaol, probably).

Never mind selling without paying CGT! How does one do that anyway? Do they not employ solicitors who are obliged (AFAIK) to inform the tax man?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Great! Just in time for me to start renting. I see rents going up very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Never mind selling without paying CGT! How does one do that anyway? Do they not employ solicitors who are obliged (AFAIK) to inform the tax man?
          Any sale will be registered with the land registry but nobody will be working out the profit made and if it is liable for CGT. You are meant to do that yourself and stick it on your self assessment. The IR would have to knock up a quick program to look for healthy profits made on sales in the last few years and check if the owners lived there and then look at their tax returns. I suspect that is beyond them.

Comment

Have you read the letter? It's obvious what HMRC are doing - they will just send out millions of these letters to targeted areas where individuals are likely to own BTL property.

Then they will sit back and pray that a reasonable % of these letters reap a "fair" amount of tax.

You really didn't think that any government department is clever enough to actually do this properly?

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              Have you read the letter? It's obvious what HMRC are doing - they will just send out millions of these letters to targeted areas where individuals are likely to own BTL property.

Then they will sit back and pray that a reasonable % of these letters reap a "fair" amount of tax.

You really didn't think that any government department is clever enough to actually do this properly?
              NO. They did this with the overseas interest thing but hardly anybody owned up and I don't think they've got the resources to do anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                I know HMRC is the Acme of incompetence, but the consequences of not declaring substantial amounts of rental income year upon year are severe indeed (ending in gaol, probably).
                Or at least it might pan out that way if our Judiciary were not being "advised" by the HMG to consider non-custodial sentences for all but the most heinous of crimes because the gaols are full to bursting. You know the sort of villain they want to incarcerate, those pensioners that refuse or simply cannot afford to pay their Council Tax. Crucifixion is too good for THEM.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

It's great to see the government trying to squeeze every single penny of tax they can from the most difficult and/or unlikely of sources.

Just goes to show what a farce they've made of public finances that they now have to go around begging for taxation. I hate incompetence, ineptitude and arrogance - all features of the current government.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Or at least it might pan out that way if our Judiciary were not being "advised" by the HMG to consider non-custodial sentences for all but the most heinous of crimes because the gaols are full to bursting. You know the sort of villain they want to incarcerate, those pensioners that refuse or simply cannot afford to pay their Council Tax. Crucifixion is too good for THEM.
                    Well in their minds (oh God, let us not inhabit them for too long) the most heinous crime is denying the state the flabby tit from which it endlessly sucks - tax!

They can always find a cell for tax dodgers. It's the muggers and stabbers that seem to require lenient sentences.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X