PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand

scooterscot
23rd February 2008, 09:40
Going there over Easter, what are the must do's not involving throwing myself off a bridge or plane?

Troll
23rd February 2008, 09:42
what are the must do's not involving throwing myself off a bridge or plane?Wear a French Rugby top
HTH

scooterscot
23rd February 2008, 09:45
genius

meridian
23rd February 2008, 09:58
Going there over Easter, what are the must do's not involving throwing myself off a bridge or plane?
That's about it, really.

Which city are you flying in to? How long are you staying for?

ctdctd
23rd February 2008, 09:59

Jet boating in Queesntown - oh, and a trip on the lake on the TSS Earnslaw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSS_Earnslaw

Or if up north - the Bay of Islands

Moscow Mule
23rd February 2008, 10:00
Heli-hike one of the glaciers.

Abel-tasman kayaking

Milford sound

ctdctd
23rd February 2008, 10:01
Heli-hike one of the glaciers.

A hike up the glaciers is really wonderful - but the noise of the bloody helicopters distracts somewhat:wink

scooterscot
23rd February 2008, 10:04
That's about it, really.

Which city are you flying in to? How long are you staying for?

Flying into Auckland out of Christchurch, for 3 weeks.

PS: still in contract so cannot lengthen...

meridian
23rd February 2008, 10:55
North Island - Rotorua. mud pools (Whakarewarewa), luge, zorb, thermal baths, replica Maori village with hangi. Tauranga/Mt Maunganui only 40 mins away with beach, surfing.

South Island - Picton to Queenstown via West Coast. wine trails, Abel Tasman park (short hikes), pancake rocks, glaciers, Monteiths beer, Wanaka.

With a couple of side trips - Coromandel in the North for swimming with dolphins and hot water beach, and Kaikoura in the South for whale watching.

Sorted!

malvolio
23rd February 2008, 11:18
North Island - Rotorua. mud pools (Whakarewarewa), luge, zorb, thermal baths, replica Maori village with hangi. Tauranga/Mt Maunganui only 40 mins away with beach, surfing.

South Island - Picton to Queenstown via West Coast. wine trails, Abel Tasman park (short hikes), pancake rocks, glaciers, Monteiths beer, Wanaka.

With a couple of side trips - Coromandel in the North for swimming with dolphins and hot water beach, and Kaikoura in the South for whale watching.

Sorted!
Totally agree - all of the above. The Shotover jetboats are insane and absolutely not to be missed - although why you have to wear a lifejacket when the water's about three inches deep escaped me totally).

On South Island be prepared for meeting stunning scenery around every corner (literally) and being amazed how big it all is (those pine trees on the hills go 100 feet high...).

We also did a 40 minute scenic fllight over Mount Cook which is a photo opportunity on a par with the Masai Mara at dawn.

meridian
23rd February 2008, 11:35
And if you don't want to jump out of planes, how about http://www.flybywire-queenstown.co.nz/home.htm ?

daviejones
23rd February 2008, 17:12
Shag a sheep, you will fit right in then!!!

HTH

tay
23rd February 2008, 20:28
Shag a sheep, you will fit right in then!!!

HTH

This post sums you up nicely. Thanks. :D

Gonzo
23rd February 2008, 20:41
Going there over Easter, what are the must do's not involving throwing myself off a bridge or plane?Hire a car. The public transport is shocking, where it exists at all.

hth

daviejones
24th February 2008, 08:34
This post sums you up nicely. Thanks. :D

Didn't wanna get you mixed up with our decent Aussie friends...:D

scooterscot
24th February 2008, 10:45
Hire a car. The public transport is shocking, where it exists at all.

hth

We're hiring a car in both the North and the South island, for some reason you don't take the car across on the ferry.

scooterscot
24th February 2008, 10:46
And if you don't want to jump out of planes, how about http://www.flybywire-queenstown.co.nz/home.htm ?

mmm I'm a big fan of keeping my feet on the ground, except when it comes to long haul of course...

scooterscot
24th February 2008, 10:48
The Shotover jetboats are insane and absolutely not to be missed

I've heard good things about these before, will be on the list...

Also we'd like to see the penguins, or should I say my wife would like to see the penguins... ;)

yod9999
24th February 2008, 11:00
try the jet boating here:

http://www.letsgo.co.nz/zones/detail_activity.asp?id=1224&theme=ts

the company is run by one guy and his wife in the middle of nowhere. they do other stuff like pony trekking and mountain biking, but the jet boat was awesome - the guy is a complete nutter. i did the shotover jet boat too, but that was tame in comparison to this one...

as someone else said, make sure you drive down the west coast of the south island - the scenery is amazing.

tay
24th February 2008, 15:01
Didn't wanna get you mixed up with our decent Aussie friends...:D

I just mean it showed you be a complete troll, but very stupid and one completely lacking in humour or ability to be subtle. Bit like the baffoon that laughs loudest at his own jokes while everyone else laughs at him.

Some people make useful contributions to threads like these, and some people think sheep jokes are still the funniest thing... you just proved which type you are Davie boy.. thanks.

SueEllen
24th February 2008, 16:11
I've heard good things about these before, will be on the list...

Also we'd like to see the penguins, or should I say my wife would like to see the penguins... ;)

Saw a blue penguin close up by accident. It was just standing on the beach on it's own obviously waiting for tourists like us just to take it's photo.

Oh make sure you see a Kea or two.

malvolio
24th February 2008, 16:46
Nah. Real challenge is to see (and film) a wild cassowary

Then again, you have to be in Oz to do that. You did want a bit of a challenge, didn't you...? :happy

EternalOptimist
24th February 2008, 20:56
I just mean it showed you be a complete troll, but very stupid and one completely lacking in humour or ability to be subtle. Bit like the baffoon that laughs loudest at his own jokes while everyone else laughs at him.

Some people make useful contributions to threads like these, and some people think sheep jokes are still the funniest thing... you just proved which type you are Davie boy.. thanks.

He's right Davie, unfortunately.
You failed to specify what type of sheep, I mean, not all sheep are the same. Some are much more, er, amenable, and I believe the 'Wellingtonians' provide the best overall experience, providing you have the correct loose-fitting wellies of course.
Many New Zealanders prefer to hide the evidence by putting their footwear in the shed , then pretending they dont like to wear shoes in the house. But we know better , eh davie? ;)

There once was a bogun called Tay
who took the young sheep all the way
he stood in their poos
so he wouldnt wear shoes
there isnt much else left to say

:rolleyes:

daviejones
25th February 2008, 07:23

Well if I had made a more intelligent comment, you would not have understood it!!

A plastic Aussie that does not like sheep jokes!!! Oh Dear...

tay
25th February 2008, 08:52
He's right Davie, unfortunately.
You failed to specify what type of sheep, I mean, not all sheep are the same. Some are much more, er, amenable, and I believe the 'Wellingtonians' provide the best overall experience, providing you have the correct loose-fitting wellies of course.
Many New Zealanders prefer to hide the evidence by putting their footwear in the shed , then pretending they dont like to wear shoes in the house. But we know better , eh davie? ;)

There once was a bogun called Tay
who took the young sheep all the way
he stood in their poos
so he wouldnt wear shoes
there isnt much else left to say

You see Davie, EO might have a hygiene problem, and be obsessed with me, but he can at least show some sort of imagination to his trolling.

daviejones
25th February 2008, 08:54
You see Davie, EO might have a hygiene problem, and be obsessed with me, but he can at least show some sort of imagination to his trolling.

No, he just put in more effort than I did and I must congratulate him on his post, :music:

I just didn't think you deserved such an effort. HTH

tay
25th February 2008, 09:18
No, he just put in more effort than I did and I must congratulate him on his post,

I just didn't think you deserved such an effort. HTH

Rubbish, you are just to thick and obvious.

EternalOptimist
25th February 2008, 09:21
Not obsessed really just fascinated by the way some peoples minds work. I mean, you go to a foreign country, get welcomed in, treated with fairness and respect, get a decent job (thats an assumption :)), make friends, even like the culture, fit in quite well.
Then you start having a go about where they are going wrong in their domestic hygeine. Its not that I dislike you or other Kiwis, I am just fascinated and probably a little bit wary now.
I was considering a trip to NZ soonish - was

:rolleyes:

daviejones
25th February 2008, 09:25
Rubbish, you are just to thick and obvious.

From a plastic Aussie...who's own country has contributed nothing to the world..HAHA...

You really are a strange 'un...

Honestly though, the poem kinda summed you up !!

tay
25th February 2008, 09:26
Not obsessed really

Yeah you are. You love me. Its ok, I am not inclined that way, I prefer woman, but can see how you find me so attractive. Hope you are ok with rejection. Give yourself a :rolleyes: toi amke yourself feel better, everyone including you, finds them hilarious!!

Then you start having a go about where they are going wrong in their domestic hygeine. Its not that I dislike you or other Kiwis, I am just fascinated and probably a little bit wary now.
I was considering a trip to NZ soonish - was

Thats lucky, I doubt you would be allowed in with your lack of hygiene.

tay
25th February 2008, 09:28
From a plastic Aussie...who's own country has contributed nothing to the world..HAHA...

You really are a strange 'un...

Honestly though, the poem kinda summed you up !!

You laughing at your own jokes again .. note what I said above about the bafoon laughing at his own jokes.....

daviejones
25th February 2008, 09:29
Yeah you are. You love me. Its ok, I am not inclined that way, I prefer woman, but can see how you find me so attractive. Hope you are ok with rejection. Give yourself a :rolleyes: toi amke yourself feel better, everyone including you, finds them hilarious!!

Thats lucky, I doubt you would be allowed in with your lack of hygiene.

:spel: sheep
:spel: toi amke? Not sure on this one...

daviejones
25th February 2008, 09:30
You laughing at your own jokes again .. note what I said above about the bafoon laughing at his own jokes.....

Do you mean buffoon? Dimwit!!!

scooterscot
16th April 2008, 17:13
Right I'm back wot did I miss...

Oh about New Zealand, it nice for sure there be sunshine and cheap houses all over as kiwis are leaving in there droves to Oz for work. I would not live there though to far away, perhaps part time. I so loved the fact there's so few people about, quiet quiet.

Spent an afternoon on the Luge in queenstown that was the height of my adrenaline adventure...

Oh Emirates business class is not what it used to be, find someone else if i were you.

Right time for breaky, it should be dinner, but I feel like cornflakes...