• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self-billing and rounding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-billing and rounding

I just got my first payment from my new gig. I thought I'd let the agent go self-billing since they insisted and a bit of research on here said others are doing it just fine.

This is going to sound really, really petty but...

The agency is converting my timesheet hours and minutes to decimal hours and rounding to 2 decimal places. I've been diddled out of 26p.

(Solution: I shall carry spare minutes over to "next week" on each timesheet in future.)

Q1. Am I right to be a little bit niggled?

Q2. Am I being the most picky, annoying git ever?
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Just work on a day rate.

Sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      Just work on a day rate.

Sorted.
      The client said "There's likely to be loads of overtime, so in your case we'll make it an hourly rate just to be fair."

(And I've been shafted by clients when on day rates so I don't like 'em any more.)
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        ..snip..

A1. No - but it's good you're aware enough to notice

A2. No, they banned her. You're getting close though
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I just got my first payment from my new gig. I thought I'd let the agent go self-billing since they insisted and a bit of research on here said others are doing it just fine.

The agency is converting my timesheet hours and minutes to decimal hours and rounding to 2 decimal places. I've been diddled out of 26p.

(Solution: I shall carry spare minutes over to "next week" on each timesheet in future.)
          Eh?

You're billing the client in minutes that don't become an exact 2dp decimal hour (hint, every third one does).

Are you counting this time from: (a)when you switch your PC off, (b)when you leave the desk, (c) when you leave the office. You could be losing a few minutes pay each day by counting (a) instead of (c), I'm sure no-one would notice.

Do you remember to subtract you bathroom time each day?

Oh, I know how to solve your problem. If you use the seconds as well you will get a more exact decimal representation each day and you will lose less money.

HTH

tim

Comment

If on an hourly rate I always work on the principle of charging by the quarter-hour or part thereof - sorted

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
              Eh?

You're billing the client in minutes that don't become an exact 2dp decimal hour (hint, every third one does).
              Yep. As instructed by the contract.

Are you counting this time from: (a)when you switch your PC off, (b)when you leave the desk, (c) when you leave the office. You could be losing a few minutes pay each day by counting (a) instead of (c), I'm sure no-one would notice.
              Because I'm a numpty, it's time spent working, as opposed to on-site.

Do you remember to subtract you bathroom time each day?
              WTF is bathroom time? I'm not a miner - it's an office job. I don't get that dirty. I just have a shower each morning when I get up.

Oh, I know how to solve your problem. If you use the seconds as well you will get a more exact decimal representation each day and you will lose less money.
              Can't. The contract doesn't work that way, nor does the agency.

HTH

tim
              Not really, and you could have saved yourself some time by just saying:

Q2 Yes.

or were you just padding out your time to the next multiple of 15 minutes?

Comment

WTF is bathroom time? I'm not a miner - it's an office job. I don't get that dirty. I just have a shower each morning when I get up.
                Bathroom is an American euphemism for toilet.
                Last edited by NotAllThere; 25 February 2008, 06:57.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yep. As instructed by the contract.
                  The contract says that you have to work a number of minutes that doesn't become an exact decimal party of an hour?

What a strange contract.

tim

Comment

Yep. I can only assume that the OP is insanely bored.
                    Last edited by NotAllThere; 25 February 2008, 06:57.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X