• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£7k to pay off mortgage or add to ISA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£7k to pay off mortgage or add to ISA

Next month I could either use £7k to pay off my mortgage or put £7k into my ISA.

I cleaned out my ISA about 18 months ago to pay off a chunk of mortgage so the ISA is only worth about £1k. I pay about £30 per month in interest on my mortgage.

It would be nice to clear the mortgage but I have not used any of my ISA allowance for this financial year and shares have dropped so it might be a good idea to take the £30 hit in interest every month and put the money into the ISA.

I would like some advice, which would you do?

You´re right stocks are down, put your money in the ISA. The average gain on shares in the longterm is 10%, so when stocks are down you usually get a sharp bounce back (but not always ). You´re probably paying 5% on your mortgage so that is a 5% plus.

Payoff more of the mortgage more when stocks are booming.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'd say pay off the mortgage. Better to have no debt and a £1k ISA than £7k debt and £8k in a ISA.

Comment

While you still have a mortgage the bank does you the really big favour of looking after the deeds to the property.

Split the money - Put half in an ISA and pay half off your mortgage.
        Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by wc2 View Post
          While you still have a mortgage the bank does you the really big favour of looking after the deeds to the property.

Sell all UK property and get out of Britain. You heard it here first.

Comment

It's not just the mortgage though is it. What about the Life Insurance. Since there's no tax relief on mortgages any more, there's no real reason to have capital tied up in one.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Cheers all for the replies

I can't afford to pay off the mortgage & use up the ISA allowance.
              I forgot about the Life Insurance.
              Even though it's an old house the deads have been destroyed and computerised. Cheers Halifax in 1999 !
              They would have been interesting reading.

The Mrs would not need the life insurance, I certainly would not if I'm dead and there are no children.
              I will clear the mortgage, cancel the life insurance and add to the ISA after April.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by wc2 View Post

Not any more - I understand the Land Registry keeps 'electronic' files of the deeds on behalf of the owner, mortgagor and/or mortgageee.

rid yourself of debt

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
                  Not any more - I understand the Land Registry keeps 'electronic' files of the deeds on behalf of the owner, mortgagor and/or mortgageee.
                  That's true. I can vouch for that. Been mortgage free for 2 years now.

When I settled up, I spoke to the Halifax and they said paper copies aren't given to the property owner anymore. They simply update the electronic copy at the LR and that's it.

I did get a letter from the LR though but that's it, no copy of any deeds as such.
                  Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

why nt get divorced? I reckon 700k should cover it.

oh you said 7k.

Comment

Working...
                    X