• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Four weeks to go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four weeks to go

Last year, I took my lad up to Norway for his 16th birthday, we drove up through Holland, Germany,Denmark and Sweden, it was a real adventure.
    This year we are going the other way, down to Pompeii in Italy. Anyone have any hints or tips, I am considering going via Switzerland, is that a good idea ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Last year, I took my lad up to Norway for his 16th birthday, we drove up through Holland, Germany,Denmark and Sweden, it was a real adventure.
    This year we are going the other way, down to Pompeii in Italy. Anyone have any hints or tips, I am considering going via Switzerland, is that a good idea ?

One tip...stop off at the chitty chitty bang bang castle on the way...it really is superb IMHO.
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

That is lovely. All I got for my 16th birthday was a clip round the ear for getting pissed and sicking up on the bathroom carpet...

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
        That is lovely. All I got for my 16th birthday was a clip round the ear for getting pissed and sicking up on the bathroom carpet...

Sounds way too familiar...
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I'd reccomend switzerland - I loved it there
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I'd go Basel->Zürich->Vaduz (just so you've been there)->Davos->St Moritz then down to Como.

Don't forget to pack your snow-chains.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Be sure to stop off at Caserta, about halfway between Rome and Naples. There's a huge palace there, open to the public, with a long garden that slopes up a hillside with waterfalls at the far end. Well worth at least a half day's visit (It's where Admiral Nelson first chatted up Emma Hamilton, while the British fleet was anchored in the Bay of Naples.)

Oh and while you're there, go and visit the picturesque village and castle at Caserta Vecchia on a nearby hilltop. It's only 10 minutes by car from Caserta.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I'd go Basel->Zürich->Vaduz (just so you've been there)->Davos->St Moritz then down to Como.

Don't forget to pack your snow-chains.
                Dont fkin talk to me about snow fkin chains.
                In Norway last year, I decided to cross from Oslo to Bergan, so I went to the local info point for advice. They assured me the road was open and it was being gritted three times a day.
                So there we are four hours later, sliding backwards down the main road, heading for the cliff edge, my son looks at me, white faced 'are we going to die dad?'
                'er yes probably'

So we landed gently in a drift against the barrier and I turned round and came down off the mountain.

Of course the Norwegian advisor meant, its ok to cross the glacier provided you have snow chains and winter tyres

So please, notallthere, can I get from NW France to Naples without the need for chains, and is switzerland a non starter at that time of year (end of march)?

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

'Mmmm. Poofters hey!'
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You can still go through Switzerland. Keep an eye on the weather, and as long as it remains clear and dry, you'd be ok on the route I suggest.

Otherwise, you can go Basel->Luzern->Gotthard Tunnel->Lugano. Not quite as pretty, and only takes 3 hours, but has some moments of spectacularity. Between Basel and Luzern, as you start to descend from the Jura (coming out of the Belchen Tunnel), if the weather is clear you get amazing views across Mitteland to the Alps.

A longer route is to go Basel->Bern->Vevey/Montreux and then use the St Bernado tunnel. As you come down toward Vevey, you get amazing views of lake Geneva, backed by mile high cliffs.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X