• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prompting client for extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prompting client for extension

Hello,
    I'm approaching the end of my first contract (woohoo, nearly made it through one!) and I wonder what is the collective wisdom regarding reminding the client of the contract end-date. Do you drop them an email as a gentle reminder? March into the office of your "client liaison" / reporting-line and demand "so, do you want me to stay on or what?" or do you just keep quiet and shuffle out the door on your last day?
    Depends on whether you want an extension I guess. I'd be quite willing to stay on for another 6 months as the project is ok and the office conditions are pretty good.
    Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    Hello,
    I'm approaching the end of my first contract (woohoo, nearly made it through one!) and I wonder what is the collective wisdom regarding reminding the client of the contract end-date. Do you drop them an email as a gentle reminder? March into the office of your "client liaison" / reporting-line and demand "so, do you want me to stay on or what?" or do you just keep quiet and shuffle out the door on your last day?
    Depends on whether you want an extension I guess. I'd be quite willing to stay on for another 6 months as the project is ok and the office conditions are pretty good.
    Any suggestions?
    Is there an agency involved because it's obviously in their interests for you to get an extension as well? Is there plenty of work for you to do?

Comment

yep, there's an agency. Is it a good idea for me to approach them first, before prompting the client?
      p.s. there will be work. The thing I'm working gets delivered very soon, but there will undoubtedly be add-ons and extra functionality coming in the next few months. I think there's a "reasonable" chance of the client wanting me to stay on.
      Last edited by Cheshire Cat; 25 February 2008, 10:23. Reason: amend

Comment

Just speak to your agent - they'll do all the running for you...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

yep, there's an agency. Is it a good idea for me to approach them first, before prompting the client?
          p.s. there will be work. The thing I'm working gets delivered very soon, but there will undoubtedly be add-ons and extra functionality coming in the next few months. I think there's a "reasonable" chance of the client wanting me to stay on.
          Probably no correct way of doing this as it largely depends on your relationship with the client (and also the clients with the agency). Letting the agency know you are prepared to stay on if offered an extension is probably a good first step. Maybe discuss it with the agent, let him/her know there is the potential for more work for you and then see what they suggest with regards to prompting the client to renew.

Alternatively of course if you feel sufficiently confident in your ability and relationship with the client I would just approach then and ask if they would like you to do a handover. (tip: leave this until near the end so they have no time to hire a cheap permie) If they want you to stay on then this should be the prompt they need to get the paperwork process started.

Good luck.

Comment

I'm fast approaching the end of a contract here and was looking for an extension. I've spoken with the client and they're happy with the work I do and so the extension is forthcoming. However, there is no Agency in the loop.
            In previous jobs, where there has been an agency, I've always approached the client first and just told the agency what is happening after the fact. It's been my experience that agencies are not always helpful or useful and so I'd rather get / fail to get an extension on my own merits rather than leave it to them.
            "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
            "See?"

Comment

Thanks, I'll drop the client an email, reminding them of my contract end date, and asking if there is anything particular that I can do to help with the smooth transition. I'll also speak to the pimp and tell them I'd be willing to stay should the opportunity present itself, but that until I get a contract offer I'll be looking for alternative work as a contingency.
              Thanks for your comments.

Comment

I find it easier to work on the assumption I am not going to be renewed (remembering that I am not a permie), so usually I approach the client first about 3 weeks before, tell them my contract is finishing on day X (and ask them if they want me to do any handover and with whom). Then I send an updated CV to the pimp and tell them I am back in the market for new work
                (and also talking to other pimps). Those conversations normally give me a good feeling pretty quickly of whether a renewal is on the cards or not.

Comment

If I fancy sticking around any place I "remind" the client that they, at that moment in time, have "first dibs" on me but that I'll be looking around shortly. I do this about 6 weeks before contract end and I usually know a couple of days later if I'm in work or not. So then I have 5 weeks to find a new project. I usually manage to go from one job to the next Friday to Monday but sometimes I take a week off in between. I usually just let the pimp know what I'm doing, they're usually pretty useless if they're involved at that stage IMHO.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Thanks, I'll drop the client an email, reminding them of my contract end date, and asking if there is anything particular that I can do to help with the smooth transition. I'll also speak to the pimp and tell them I'd be willing to stay should the opportunity present itself, but that until I get a contract offer I'll be looking for alternative work as a contingency.
                    Thanks for your comments.
                    I wouldn't send an email, to be honest - have a chat with the person that you know at the client who would make the decision. An email giving them the date you are leaving and asking about handover may well give the impression that you want to leave, when that's not the case.

Comment

Working...
                    X