• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Noddy Outlook Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noddy Outlook Question

A real noddy issue that should be easy to solve, but being a useless tit it's got me stumped.

Running MS Outlook on my home machine, everything perfect until I upgraded the AV software to Norton 2005. Since the upgrade, I can't send or download messages through the application.
    I've checked all the settings and they appear correct. I uninstalled and reinstalled both Norton AV and Outlook - no change. I've been through the Microsoft, Norton and NTL support sites without success. I've even tried switching to Outlook Express but experience exactly the same problem.

My initial thought was that the AV was holding on to the messages too long and the server connection was timing out, but I get the same problem even with the relevant AV features switched off.

I get this error message:
    Task 'WageSlave - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) :
    'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you
    continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or
    Internet service provider (ISP).'

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

NAV scans all outgoing email, try disabling this setting. Failing that, try going back to an older version of NAV. If NAV 2005 doesn't work with Outlook, they're going to be deluged with pissed off customers.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I can access NTL's webmail, and pinging the server seems to elicit a positive response.

I don't think anything is stuck in the inbox, because I've tried setting up Outlook Express and exactly the same thing happens, and I regularly edit the messages in webmail.

I've also tried disabling the AV scan, but the problem persists. Outlook worked fine under NAV 2002 and 2003 - it was only when I upgraded to 2005 that the problem started.

Comment

Have you checked the URLS for your POP and SMTP as NAV fiddles with 'em ?

Have you tried using telnet and looking at your m'box using POP3 commands ?

Comment

Update

Given Outlook up for dead, so decided to install Thunderbird over the weekend. Created the account and settings from scratch (no imports). Exactly the same problem as with Outlook; cannot contact server.

Comment

Wage

have you tried telneting to the POP3 server directly, use port 110?
            Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
              Wage

have you tried telneting to the POP3 server directly, use port 110?
              MG, I've haven't, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Oh sh*t you presumably have a pop-e-mail virus checker. Yup, they really are a load of sh*t. I think the hassle cause by these virus checkers are worse than the virii.

I've long since switched my "piece of sh*t-viral checker off" I got tired of restarting outlook, rebooting the machine because of the virus checker intercepting.

One thing you can try, if you haven't already is downloading the latest Microsoft patch.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

NAV & Outlook

I had this problem.

I turned off the outgoing scan and everything started to work...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

lookout express ?

Maybe Norton is trying to tell you something ?

Comment

Working...
                    X