• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fuel Cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Cards

Has anyone ever looked into getting a fuel card?

A benefit is that fuel is at the same price regardless of where you fill up within the network that you choose. Eg, as I pass motorway services a lot I would never pay the motorway premium.

I am covering around 30k’s per year, hence it got me thinking.

If the prices at most pumps are not reduced at all, no point in even taking it any further.

Just wondering really as a break from a spreadsheet…..

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    If the prices at most pumps are not reduced at all, no point in even taking it any further.

pimps

Comment

Your new permie job is as a sales rep?
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

You could always try this:

http://www.pipelinecard.org/

Although I suspect it is something to do with the labour government... Loads of promises that are never met and the occasional bit of spin to make it sound like everything is great.

Mind you will probably be worthwhile if it ever does get taken seriously by one of the large petrol companies. (Can't see why they would though tbh).

Comment

That site is attacking things from the wrong perspective. The high price of petrol is not caused by the oil companies it is caused by tax. So it is the government they should be attacking.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

WILMSLoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. ...

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              WILMSLoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. ...

Milan.
              <canned laughter>

Comment

Yep. Got an Arval card about 2 years ago. £1 per month for the pleasure of not having to account for VAT myself on each fuel receipt (Arval does this for you). How many times have you bought fuel and forgotten to get a VAT receipt? Too much hassle for me. Only downside is that money is taken from myco account about two weeks after fuel bought otherwise good as gold.

Comment

Has anyone ever looked into getting a fuel card?

A benefit is that fuel is at the same price regardless of where you fill up within the network that you choose. Eg, as I pass motorway services a lot I would never pay the motorway premium. However you only get fixed price on the higher spend cards. On the lower spend cards they are fixed at core sties or not at all.

Just wondering really as a break from a spreadsheet…..
                  Does yourco own your car or will this fuel card be personal? If personal forget about it.

The price is reduced...but depends where you are. If you are at an expensive station it will look like it is reduced, if you are at the cheapest in town place your probably paying the same.

Have a look at: http://www.businessfuelcards.co.uk/comparenew.html

I usually recommend that people go with KeyFuels if they are not bunding on site...but the min spend if £300/month which you may be able to make. On 30,000 a year I doubt that you are spending £300/month.

Other than that Esso.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Does yourco own your car or will this fuel card be personal? If personal forget about it.
                    Possibly/Probably not worth it from a fuel cost saving perspective - agreed. However, if you own the car personally and are buying fuel for business mileage which is then getting charged back to yourco then you will need to get proper VAT receipts. I think HMRC tightened up on this last April.

After discussions with my accountant what we've decided to do is to charge all fuel to myco via the Arval card (business and private). In March each year my accountant calculates the total cost of all fuel bought via the card during that tax year. He then simply multiplies the total number of business miles during the tax year by a fuel cost of approx 12p per mile. If this figure comes to less than the total fuel paid for on the card my director's loan account is debited for the difference thus avoiding any BIK charge for employer-supplied fuel.

Works for me!

Comment

Working...
                    X