• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car depreciation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car depreciation

Thought of this cos it got mentioned on another thread. I have always thought that the alleged low depreciation of BMWs for example was largely an illusion.

I reckon that the calculations don't take into account the huge costs of extras and the fact that no-one ever pays list for a Bimmer, for example. I seriously doubt whether whatcar (or any other mag) takes all these options into account when they do the sums.

I also noticed in the most recent edition of said mag, that to spec a BMW 318 to the same level the 18K Mondeo they were testing cost £35k - how can that be value?

Any car is only worth what someone's prepared to pay for it. I would say that paying £35k for a BMW 318 would be a sign of mental illness though.

Comment

Cars are the biggest con in history. They have been marketed to perfection so that inadequate males with low self esteem and small willies somehow imagine that driving a BMW, say, makes them real men.

HTH
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Cars are the biggest con in history. They have been marketed to perfection so that inadequate males with low self esteem and small willies somehow imagine that driving a BMW, say, makes them real men.

HTH
        Quality

Comment

HTH
          Or an Audi A3

Comment

HTH
            Or maybe certain people just like cars as much as you like geeky things?
            If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
              In that case they'd have more taste than to buy a BMW.

Comment

Car dealers

While there is a good 2nd-hand market for BMW/Merc/Lexus motors (at least in London), you'll find that most prices are artificial and inflated by the authorised dealers whose interests lie obviously in keeping prices high. Most private and company cars end up back where they came from, especially if the owner(s) upgrade to a better model/version, so most prices quoted on-line and in the mags are from the half a dozen or so appointed dealers in the area that you are looking to buy. A few private sales don't push down the price, also bear in mind the extended warranty/service history/etc that the dealers are able to offer which a private seller might not.

Comment

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
                  I don't like geeky things.

HTH
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

HTH
                    er...you mean it doesn't....
                    Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Working...
                    X