• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting first contract in Belgium - Help!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting first contract in Belgium - Help!!

I recently decided to quit my nine to five and take on a contract position in Brussels through a Belgian agency, having spent the last 2 weeks looking into the issues such as should I go with an umbrella or become a limited company and what tax am I likely to be paying and to who and what's this LIMOSA rubbish the initial excitement has worn off and I'm left thinking "is it worth it?"

So I thought i would put together what I have so far and put it to the ContractorUK test and see if I can regain some of that lost excitement, here are my findings If someone can support or debunk them with some real life experience or expert knowledge then please do.

I will stress at this point that despite the advice of most of the accountants I have spoken too I have no interest in avoiding tax though if there are any risk free and more importantly LEGAL ways of making my tax more "efficient" then I would be greatful to hear about them.

so here goes.....

-My contract is worth about £60K/79.5K Euros a year and I will fall foul of IR35

-I can either use a UK umbrella company for 183 working days, set up a UK limited company or become Belgium self employed (any thoughts on that?)

-Due to IR35 I cant split my income into Salary and dividends through a limited company

-By doing some basic calculations under UK Tax I will take home about £44K and under the Belgian system about £34k (assuming 0 expense entitlement)

-I have 183 working days in belgium before I will officially be liable to start paying their taxes

-I can continue to pay UK national insurance so I won't need to pay Belgian social security payments

-I need to register with LIMOSA (still need to read more on this one)

-If i have a uk limited company then as the seat of control is in Belgium it will be considered to be based in Belgium (still not sure of the implications of this)

-Any payments from Euros to Pounds or back will incur an exchange fee so need to build that in somewhere.

That's about all I can think of right now I feel better already for just writing it down! if you can expand on this then that's great.

cheers and thanks for reading this far

I really can't see it being worthwhile for that kind of money. You'll get a job back in the UK on more money in my opinion, I presume you are UK resident ofcourse. Good luck with it.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmony View Post
      -My contract is worth about £60K/79.5K Euros a year and I will fall foul of IR35
      Have you had it professionally reviewed and been told this as a fact? Is there no way to make changes to potentially move it outside? Otherwise as Mr Bloggs suggests it just doesn't sound worth it.

Comment

First of all Tax Avoidance is 100% legal and a right of every citizen in this country. Don't get Tax Avoidance mixed up with tax evasion which will result in you getting locked up in prison.

Listen to your accountants advice RE: tax avoidance they are telling you legal ways to reduce your tax bill.

Secondly can you not get the T&C of your contract modified to make you outside IR35? If in doubt get some professionals on the case like Bauer & Cottrell or QDOS. You may be surprised with the outcome and it will save you an absolute fortune in tax.

I wouldn't do a Euro gig for £60,000 a year when it's IR35 caught, you are probably better off on a £40,000 permie job in the UK with less paperwork and hassle all round.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmony View Post
          -By doing some basic calculations under UK Tax I will take home about £44K and under the Belgian system about £34k (assuming 0 expense entitlement)
          Thats sounds too high under UK Tax. I would make your take home more like £33K. Have you accounted for Employers NI as well as employees? (take another 13% off)

Comment

I look for at least 800 Euro a day before I start getting interested. I know of no legal way to avoid paying all due tax working in EU countries.

Comment

I have just thought of a way to avoid tax in Belgium/EU. Become a European Commissioner.

Comment

what about an NT tax code???? I know very little about it - but I know it can be done. Anybody else help on this???

Comment

Originally posted by bid1 View Post
                  what about an NT tax code???? I know very little about it - but I know it can be done. Anybody else help on this???

Obviously.

An NT code only affects the amount of tax that is taken (or not) in advance, on a month by month basis.

It has no effect on the amount of tax that will actually be due for the year.

tim

Comment

I currently contact in Belgium and I work with a number of other contractors. How you play it all depends on the length of you contract. If you are in belgium for more than 183 days you are consider resident for tax purposes.

This is where the umbrella companies come in.

Here is a very rough illustration: (So get prof. advice!)
                    By working for the UC you retain your UK resident status. A minimum UK salary paid into your UK bank account to keep your NI going, but minimising tax.

For the work in Belgium you are paid another salary, say 4000 euro/mth. This is taxed (say, 1800 euro), so 2200 is paid into a Belgium bank account.

The rest (minus UC fees) is paid as dividends (euro) into whatever bank account you want (ie offshore). If visit the UK less than 93 days these dividends are tax exempt.
                    Be aware that (from the next tax year, I think) HMRC count travelling days as being in UK, doesn't matter what time you travel.

Get a quote from www.itecs.nl

hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X