• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Children Damaged by Materialism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Children Damaged by Materialism

Oh dear, apparently the pursuit of wealth and belongings is damaging children.

From the BBC:

The selling of lifestyles to children creates a culture of material competitiveness and promotes acquisitive individualism at the expense of the principles of community and co-operation."

One member of the childhood inquiry panel has warned that the commercial pressures on youngsters may have damaging psychological effects.

Professor Philip Graham, Emeritus Professor of Child Psychiatry at the Institute of Child Health in London, said: "One factor that may be leading to rising mental health problems is the increasing degree to which children and young people are preoccupied with possessions; the latest in fashionable clothes and electronic equipment.

"Evidence both from the United States and from the UK suggests that those most influenced by commercial pressures also show higher rates of mental health problems," he went on.

Oh blah blah blah

How about parents take responsibility for their children and stop sitting them infront of the TV 24/7. Or people stop having children until they can learn to take care of them and stop expecting the government to do it. Mental health problems don't come from not having the latest trainers they come from being neglected/ignored etc etc

Montessori, Steiner actually ask parents to not allow children to watch TV at all, as they believe the damage it causes is to great.

It's not known as 'visual valium' for nothing...

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    "Evidence both from the United States and from the UK suggests that those most influenced by commercial pressures also show higher rates of mental health problems," he went on.
    Wonder how much research they did into mental health rates in council estates amongst people who have nothing but debts ...

Anyone else young when the whole yuppie thing was in full flow and remember thinking - that's look awright?
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Snaw I actually think people who can't afford to put a roof over their own heads should not be bringing children into the world. Why should the taxpayer pay for them?

Comment

I am now convinced that this country is doomed.

I was aghast when I was at one of my best friends from school's house and it was time for him to put his daughter to bed. He sat her in front of the "one more story before bed" channel for 15 minutes before putting her into bed.

We both went to a school for clever kids, so what hope is there for the rest of the country

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

We both went to a school for clever kids, so what hope is there for the rest of the country

Clever doesn't mean a person has any idea of how to bring up children.

Unless people are told and shown what to do i.e. Surestart programs, watching older family members with children then they do anything.

I've been told and seen some horror stories of intelligent people feeding their kids etc.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            Snaw I actually think people who can't afford to put a roof over their own heads should not be bringing children into the world. Why should the taxpayer pay for them?
            That's one of the dumbest comments think I've ever read on this forum. Where do you start?
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I've been told and seen some horror stories of intelligent people feeding their kids etc.
              That's horrible! Whatever next? People feeding their kids? No wonder the country has gone soft. Back in my day we had to hunt stray cats for meat with our Swiss army knives.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                That's horrible! Whatever next? People feeding their kids? No wonder the country has gone soft. Back in my day we had to hunt stray cats for meat with our Swiss army knives.

squirrels

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Clever doesn't mean a person has any idea of how to bring up children.
                  "you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father." - Tod (Keanu Reeves), Parenthood
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    That's one of the dumbest comments think I've ever read on this forum. Where do you start?
                    There's lots of flaws with that I agree - but there's a vein of commonsensical truth there too. Seriously - what rational minded couple would even consider a planned pregnancy without sufficient resources to support themselves and their offspring? It doesn't make any sense to me - and I suspect that's Lucy's point.

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    ROTFL!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X