• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Few basic questions 8 months in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few basic questions 8 months in

Hello,

Employer Annual Return

Just got a letter through about Employer annual Return (by 19 May 2008) workshops being held by HMRC - I understand that I need to send a P35 and P14. I use payroll software to produce my payslips, do I, therefore, have to make sure my pay is in there until April 2008, then simply print and send a P35 and P14?

Accounting Period End Date

My accounting period end date is 17/06/08 - what do I have to produce and send to HMRC by this date?

Withdrawl of dividend

I haven't withdrawn any dividend from my business account so far, however, I assume the yearly calcs for tax for this are april - april? (i.e. the financial year?). If so, I'd like to pay myself a dividend - how do I go about this?

Mileage

As I understand it, it's the first 10,000 miles = 40p per mile and anything after that is 25p per mile. However, what period does this run for? i.e. when does it revert to 40p again? If you change contract, does it revert back to 40p for the first 10,000 miles again?

Many thanks.

What software are you using. Most will do online submission for you.

Dividends are for your company year. Not the tax year.

First 10,000 miles is per tax year / employment. Ie you are employed by your company. Nothing to do with contracts.

Comment

Useful sources of information before you ask questions
      1. Ask your accoutant - You do have one don't you?
      2. Use the search button at the top of the page
      3. Read the first timers guide on this board or other web sources. (Hint - some accoutants have good ones.)

Some of the things you have mentioned particularly mileage have been answered before on these boards in the last day or so, so you are asking to receive rude replies or have your post ignored.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
        Hello,

Employer Annual Return

Just got a letter through about Employer annual Return (by 19 May 2008) workshops being held by HMRC - I understand that I need to send a P35 and P14. I use payroll software to produce my payslips, do I, therefore, have to make sure my pay is in there until April 2008, then simply print and send a P35 and P14?

My accounting period end date is 17/06/08 - what do I have to produce and send to HMRC by this date?

Withdrawl of dividend

I haven't withdrawn any dividend from my business account so far, however, I assume the yearly calcs for tax for this are april - april? (i.e. the financial year?). If so, I'd like to pay myself a dividend - how do I go about this?

Mileage

As I understand it, it's the first 10,000 miles = 40p per mile and anything after that is 25p per mile. However, what period does this run for? i.e. when does it revert to 40p again? If you change contract, does it revert back to 40p for the first 10,000 miles again?

Many thanks.

I do the P35 and P14 online at the HMRC website (you have to register "do it online" for employers) its easy peasy

To declare a dividend you have to have a board meeting, decide the dividend, deduct the 10% tax credit from the gross amount and pay the net amount equally to shareholders (depending on shareholding). You have to keep the minutes of the meeting and issue a tax cert to the shareholders.

10k resets every april, or every new (removed location removed) employment (you, not yourco). Beware that you can't claim for more than 2 years (search the forum for 2 year rule)

HTH
        Last edited by Archangel; 28 February 2008, 07:31. Reason: Corrected error

Comment

10k resets every april, or every new location
          Are you sure?
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
            Hello,

Employer Annual Return

register for PAYE online. There might still be cashback for this?

Nothing. You need to do a companies house return within 28 days after this date. This is a five minute job, do it online, showing the shareholders and company details.

Annual unaudited accounts are done 7 months after this y/e (17/6). There is a standard PDF for this on the CH website, basically it's balance sheet + notes to accounts.

The CT return (CT600) is done to HMRC within 9 months of y/e. This consists of:

* CT600 form
            * full unaudited accounts including balance sheet and P+L with notes
            * CT calculation workings based on net profit + ineligible expenses for CT - capital allowances
            * payment for amount due

Again, do CT600 online.

Withdrawl of dividend

April 6th - April 5th is tax year.

Dividends can be paid out of retained earnings from previous years or post-tax profits from this. So no dividends if you have't made enough profits.

Basically, you write out minutes of the meeting declaring the dividend.

Example:
            http://www.hemscott.com/news/rna/ite...59440199918942

Then you write out another document showing the actual dividend payment and the notional tax credit

<removed>

Then you transfer the money from the companys account to yours.

If you want £20k, the dividend payment would look like this:

Net Dividend Payment £20,000
            Gross Dividend £22,222.22
            Tax Credit: £2,222.22

Best practice is to declare a dividend at start of tax year so the money is in your personal account at the earliest date.

It's perfectly possible to pay the money out of company now and regularise the documentation later. But don't forget, if your personal income (based on GROSS dividend + salary + investment income) goes over the basic rate limit), additional tax is payable on dividends at a rate of 32.5% nominal, 25% effective - on £5k received £1.25k income tax would be payable.

Mileage

Only for a temporary workplace. As a contractor, anything can be deemed to be temporary. But after 2 years in the same location, it is legally no longer 'temporary'. The 2 years starts from the end date of your contract. I.e. if you work 3 * 6 months contract in the same place and then sign another contract for 9 months there, that would take you over 2 years, so you would no longer be able to claim after 18 months in that case, because you know that you will be there over 2 years, and hence it is no longer 'temporary'.

The definition of workplace is fairly broad: if you work in the same city/area at different locations, it would generally be deemed to be the same workplace.

Comment

Dividends are for your company year. Not the tax year.
              Correct, but, they appear on your own self assessment form April to April irrespective of your trading year end. HTH.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Few things

There are a few inaccuracies in the replies above, so to correct those:

1. Date for filing the accounts with Co House is 9 months 1 day after the year end (or the anniversary date of incorporation in year 1)

2. Accounts need to be filed within 12 months of the company year end

3. Make sure that if your accounting year is longer than exactly one year you complete one CT600 for each full year or part therefore, and adhere to the 12 month timeline as above (this always catches people out in year 1)

4. The 10,000 mile limit is per tax year, not per location
                P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post

1. Date for filing the accounts with Co House is 9 months 1 day after the year end (or the anniversary date of incorporation in year 1)

3. Make sure that if your accounting year is longer than exactly one year you complete one CT600 for each full year or part therefore, and adhere to the 12 month timeline as above (this always catches people out in year 1)

This appears mixed up?

1. The filing date at Companies House is usually 10 months after the period end, although the first year may be slightly different.

2. Payment of Corporation tax is 9 months & 1 day after the period end, although as Simon has pointed out if the period exceeds one year then two returns are required and so technically there would be two tax payment dates.

3. The Company Tax Return (CT600) is due 12 months after the period end.

4. The mileage limit is 10,000 per annum, although the "clock" resets at a new employment.

I hope this clears things up.

Alan
                  Last edited by Nixon Williams; 27 February 2008, 17:35. Reason: typo's

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post

Date for filing the accounts with Co Ho is 10 monthsafter year end or the anniversary of incorporation.

The 10,000 limit is per tax year, but restarts with every new employer.

Comment

Working...
                    X