• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Canada

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada

Has anyone got any experience of contracting (testing) in Canada? Are there many opportunities there?

I am thinking of going for a year, also does anyone know the best city for testing work and also any good job sites?

Thanks.

I did the same thing. Went to Vancouver for 12 months.
    There are 2 main IT companies in Vancouver managed to get a job as a tester for an international software company. (You will of heard of them)

I have several contacts and websites - if you need any just PM me.

Best thing I ever done by the way!!

I am sure Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal etc will all have something but go to Vancouver.

Comment

I spent the worst 6 months of my life in Montreal. What a s**thole. I hear the rest of Canada is supposed to be quite nice but Quebec is truly abysmal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
        I did the same thing. Went to Vancouver for 12 months.
        There are 2 main IT companies in Vancouver managed to get a job as a tester for an international software company. (You will of heard of them)

I have several contacts and websites - if you need any just PM me.

Best thing I ever done by the way!!

I am sure Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal etc will all have something but go to Vancouver.
        Thanks, cant seem to PM you at the moment, but I think I can guess the companies you are talking about

Originally posted by MickeyP
        I spent the worst 6 months of my life in Montreal. What a s**thole. I hear the rest of Canada is supposed to be quite nice but Quebec is truly abysmal.
        I have been to both Montreal and Vancouver and I would certainly favour Vancouver, particularly as I don't speak French.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyP View Post
          Blame the French

On a serious note, Edmonton and Alberta in general is booming now, so head over there. My brother is in Edmonton and is a domestic sparky, he has loads of work as they can't build houses quick enough.

I would go like a shot but the Mrs is reluctant. We are over there in May for 2 weeks, hopefully that might help my case.
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Must say that after 30 years in Canada..I avoided Montreal like the plague. I only went into Quebec on my bicycle - I lived in Ottawa at the time...and all the good trails were in Quebec.

Toronto - concrete jungle - hate it
            Ottawa - laid back, but plenty of jobs.
            Edmonton/Calgary - booming. Calgary very scenic
            Vancouver - very nice climate, decent jobs, scenic.

Contracting wise - Most people contract to perm. But there is a good sized contracting market there. If you go to Ottawa I have contacts who might help you out in a pinch.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by bobsyouruncle View Post
              I have been to both Montreal and Vancouver and I would certainly favour Vancouver, particularly as I don't speak French.
              The language situation actually wasn't too bad. In every shop they greeted you with "Bonjour, Hi" and however you responded the conversation continued in that language as all shop staff have to be able to speak both.

In the street however you could bump into people who only spoke one or the other. Bizarre.

Comment

I would like to be living there in 5 years time, just got to convince the other half. She is warming to the idea since her sister moved to New York with work and is now thinking of getting a green card though as it's not that far away..

Comment

There is also a good website I post on now and then called British Expat's, there are a bunch of forums there, where you can get good advice etc.
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                  X