• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finally its going to get faster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally its going to get faster

Finally its going to get faster > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7267406.stm

Good thing and about time though business banking wont get it for a while longer

About time an all
    Married

Comment

The new, faster, payments service has cost the industry hundreds of millions of pounds to develop and implement, said Sandra Quinn of Apacs.
      Why? How can it possibly take 3 days for one computer system to communicate with another?

All they've done is gone to the appropriate screen and changed the "arse about with the customer's money" field from 72 hours to 24 hours. They're making a big deal about this because they're too embaressed to admit just how crap they really are.

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I don't know about 3 days, I went into an RBS branch a week or so back to pay a cheque in from an account with another bank and was told it could take upto 6 days !!! When I asked how come as it was always 3 days I was told it was a recent change for security reasons

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Why? How can it possibly take 3 days for one computer system to communicate with another?

EDS? Indian development team? Public Sector style specifications?

Comment

They have been able to do this for donkeys of years anyway. I worked in a payment processing centre for Barclays back in 1999 and once you have entered the payments into the system they are done, we had a priority check box that if checked meant that the payment would be in the customers account in the bank we were sending money to the same day.

The only reason they have been holding back on doing this for everyone was because they get to charge you a £25 fee to do this at present. That's a lot of money they are going to loose if nobody need to make priority chaps payments any more......

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              I don't know about 3 days, I went into an RBS branch a week or so back to pay a cheque in from an account with another bank and was told it could take upto 6 days !!! When I asked how come as it was always 3 days I was told it was a recent change for security reasons
              It does only take 3 working days BUT... The staff are told not to say that because if there is a problem with the system or the cheque clearing process you will go back to the branch and say "Well Flossy over there told me..." Also remember that it can take up to 5 working days to clear but it can be return unpaid at anytime! When I worked at a high street bank (I only left in october) we used to say "It can take up to 5 working days to clear but you may be able to withdraw it from the ATM on the third day but remember it can be returned unpaid at anytime. So even if it shows it going in and clearing they can still return it unpaid at anytime therefore debiting your account." Basically covering their own arses!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                They used this extra time to gamble with your money on markets, effectively using it as free money - that's why they had no desire to speed up payments unless they were getting extra money.

Comment

Working...
                X