• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Value for money for you tax £££

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value for money for you tax £££

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7266691.stm

The new GP contract in England has cost the government £1.76bn more than predicted in its first three years but productivity has fallen, says a report.

Practice partners now work seven fewer hours a week on average, but earn 58% more, the National Audit Office found.

I wish my IT contracts were this good.

"I can't vote Tory, I believe paying more tax to improve the NHS".

As much as I agree that the tax burden is getting out of control, when it comes to professionals you do need to pay well to keep good people (do any IT consultants disagree with that statement?), and I think we'd rather have good people as NHS GPs, not the ones that can't get better jobs.

The doctors point out that they should be judged by improvements in health, not hours. As in software development, having to put in lots of hours is an indication of doing it wrong, not doing it right.

Just a thought.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Have you thought of a job in the spin dept?

Loads more money spent and the surgeries aren't even open anymore equates to better care......

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Come and work in the public sector - the waters lovely...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

(c) Stephen Fry, 1997, all rights reserved

(along with a few dozen other star-struck New Lab luvvies at the time)

Comment

Yeah! Increase NHS GP pay even more I say! They work very hard and are most revered members of society.

MrRobin in 'my missus is a doctor' mode.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7266691.stm

The new GP contract in England has cost the government £1.76bn more than predicted in its first three years but productivity has fallen, says a report.

Practice partners now work seven fewer hours a week on average, but earn 58% more, the National Audit Office found.

Also bear in mind that GP's are being expected to work more unsociable hours at the moment. generally speaking you get paid more for unsociable hours (time and a half, double time). So theoretically they could be earning more because the hours they work are now all unsociable despite the fact that they work slightly less.

Would you charge the same rate for night work as you do for day work?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                Also bear in mind that GP's are being expected to work more unsociable hours at the moment. generally speaking you get paid more for unsociable hours (time and a half, double time). So theoretically they could be earning more because the hours they work are now all unsociable despite the fact that they work slightly less.

Would you charge the same rate for night work as you do for day work?
                No, the New Labour contract with GP's means they don't have to provide out of hours work.

The fact is the doctors are working less and less, offering less and less care for more and more money. Great for them, not for the taxpayer or citizin requiring medical services.

Comment

They don't have to, but those that do earn a lot more money and knock up the average wage figures.

Comment

Working...
                  X