• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Mobile Contractor's lodging lifestyle/options.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mobile Contractor's lodging lifestyle/options.

I’d appreciate the fellow community’s insights on the options a contractor can lodge themselves. I tend to change every 3 /6 months contracts ( I get pissed off ) meaning I change the place I live in regularly. Not having permanent residence this means changing the place I rent.

Problem:

Gumtree.com , rightmove.co.uk are full of nice studios going about 800 / month . The problem is they ask you for a 6 month contract and 1 month leave notice ( you all filthy Landlords know that ) . So if you are in a 3 months contract ( orr get sacked) , at the contract end you pack your backs and lose potentially 1500 GBP. ( deposit for the studio plus some rent residue ) .

I have lost a solid amount in deposits /rent residues due to this.

So what to do ?

Solution 1:
    If you mange to find someone to replace you in the studio you are leaving behind , you lose nothing. But this has proven very hard ! Impossible.

Solution 2:

I have seen hotels/bedsits advertised on the internet for about 33 pounds , but in reality I have never encountered one. 33 Pounds works out about 1000 pounds /month which is quite acceptable. If you will be losing up to 1500 in deposit/residue then going in a hotel can save you money. 40GBP + hotels seems too of a waste for long-term stay – months.

Solution 3:
    There are some deserted villages ( like the one I am in ) where the Landlords are so desperate they will agree on a rolling contract* with 2 weeks leave notice. ( problem is most underwear models sign you off immediately )

Solution 4:
    My longterm/wannabe solution seems to be – getting 4 – 5 BTL studios at key places in the UK. ( close to all motorways ) . Rent them all out. When a contract comes up , give the closest tenant 1 month notice to get out. ( Yes I am that bad ). During the first month spend circa 2 K in a hotel.

* I have invented the renting term “rolling contract” where you ask the landlord to stay as long as you need but have to give them 2 weeks leave notice. In reality this meant for me – losing the 2 weeks rent since I would leave a place immediately after I have secured a new contract.
    Last edited by 2uk; 28 February 2008, 12:51.

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    I tend to change every 3 /6 months contracts ( I get pissed off )
    Is this the average amount of time your client takes to understand you are no good?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Rent them all out. When a contract comes up , give the tenant 1 month notice to get out.
      And how you going to give 1 month notice if tenant signs up to 6+ months contract? What you think you will find lots of tenants willing to have 1 month contracts?

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        Is this the average amount of time your client takes to understand you are no good?
        Correct. The only skills I can be ever bothered to learn are the ones that I need to pass an interview BUT STICK TO THE SUBJECT PLEASE.
        Last edited by 2uk; 28 February 2008, 12:54.

Comment

This 2UK chap is not the sharpest tool in the box methinks
          Perhaps he's a made up character like Chico, NickyG, Wilmslow et al?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            And how you going to give 1 month notice if tenant signs up to 6+ months contract? What you think you will find lots of tenants willing to have 1 month contracts?
            No , you just give them 6 months contract or whatever they want but include a clause saying that the Landlord can ask the tenant out with 1 month notice.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              This 2UK chap is not the sharpest tool in the box methinks
              Perhaps he's a made up character like Chico, NickyG, Wilmslow et al?
              He's as genuine as I am
              Lick my Chutney Lollipop

Comment

We have some stunning intellects here.

Comment

No , you just give them 6 months contract or whatever they want but include a clause saying that the Landlord can ask the tenant out with 1 month notice.
                  So you think you can make people honour contract length but you can break it at any time? Even if you sneak this clause into contract without person noticing I have strong doubts it would stand up in court.

Comment

Buy a caravan and a car capable of towing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X