• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forum Changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Changes

Hi Lovely People,

DimPrawn beat me to posting a poll to gauge yor feelings on the skin and I would like to thank those of you who have voted for voting, those of you who haven't please add your tuppence worth here.

We at CUK like the forum layout and we are a bit disappointed in the reception it has received so far but we do listen to you and we are willing to change things once the poll has gathered some more feedback.

The poll so far suggests you all loved the EZ Board layout so our plan so far is to implement another skin and allow you to choose which one you want to use as this feature is available in VBulletin.

We made the move to our own forum due to the unhappiness with EZ Board following the last hack attack where a load of posts were deleted and we had little control over the forum itself. EZBoard was good while it lasted but it is time to move on now...

Thanks also for pointing out that the forum text does not resize in IE, we will make sure that additional skins are more user friendly. Please let us know any other reasons why Ezboard was favoured over and above what we already know - background colour, spacing & Avatars so we can look at these issues in addition.

As suggested by several members you can turn Avatars and Images off in your user settings. Click on USER CP in the top navigation, click Edit Options in left hand menu and then the third section down holds check boxes for Avatar and Image display options.

I was going to post a poll regarding the use of Avatars and images but as this option is available it really is up to you to turn them on / off as desired.

Thanks again for the constructive comments, if you have any further problems / suggestions please post them here rather than making a new thread so that we can keep track of it all.

Kind Regards

CUK Admin
    Last edited by administrator; 11 July 2005, 13:13.

forgot to say

We have returned several user id's following sneaky thefts on transfer to this board. If you have had your nick nicked then email us at the usual address and when you have provided info to prove the nick is yours we will happily return it for you.

Comment

I dont like all the stuff on the right hand side.

Anybody who has come here has come through CUK main, or has a favourites link.
      We know the CUK content and if we want to view it we will go to CUK main.
      Get rid of the CUK Nav bar.
      Obviously you have to give space to your sponsors or advertisers so you cant get rid of that, but cant you put it in the header.

That would allow a wider main window which would fit more text, so more posts in less vertical space.

Same goes for Credit Checke, put it in the header or leave it in CUK main.

Good Web Design philosophy says that the less scrolling users have to do the more likely they are to read the web site. HTH.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Old Farts

Just ignore the moaners, they are a bunch of old farts who do not like change. Some better emoticons would be welcome
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Ads on the right are not well positioned as they don't take whole column, and thus force the whole text to have less horisontal space. Put ads vertically just like before.

Comment

I agree with a point that was made earlier on, on a different thread - that is the fact that the old EZBoard forum was more work friendly in that it looked less "forum-like". A quick glance at this one clearly shows that we are slacking.

I say plain black text on a plain white background and no emoticons.

Comment

Also, can we have PROPER emoticons? Those ezboard one were top, its not illegal to link so can those smilies be replaced with links to ezboard ones?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                Ads on the right are not well positioned as they don't take whole column, and thus force the whole text to have less horisontal space. Put ads vertically just like before.
                Surely the idea is to eventually fill the column for more revenue?

Also, does anyone know why some message titles go back to bold once logged back in, eventhough you've read the last reply
                Last edited by Pinto; 11 July 2005, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto
                  Surely the idea is to eventually fill the column for more revenue?
                  Sure, but posts can span many pages down and you can bet your arse that people who scroll text as they read POSTS won't give a damn about ads on the right. Links put this way are inherently wasteful -- just look at major spacing used by the links as they have to be done in a big fixed length box.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    Sure, but posts can span many pages down and you can bet your arse that people who scroll text as they read POSTS won't give a damn about ads on the right.
                    It's a matter of opinion I guess. I must confess though, that I have noticed the ads with this design whereas the vertical ones in the old forum disappeared after the slightest of scroll downs.

In any case, I voted for the "I don't really give a tulip" option, which I think correctly epitomises my opinions with regard to the BB look and feel debate.

Comment

Working...
                    X