• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Pm's needed (loaded question I know)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Pm's needed (loaded question I know)

Any PM's out there finding the market a little dry at the moment? I know its not the best time of year but I'm struggling to find anything. Oly had 2 interviews int he last few months...

Yes - they play a vital role in project delivery!

Market has been a little dry over Dec/Jan but seems to be picking up now around these parts (West Yorks).
    If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Well I'm looking M4, west London or South East...

Comment

absolutely. The only thing this world needs more than project managers, is lawyers. Lots and lots of lawyers. Oh yes.
        Plan A is located just about here.
        If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

A good friend (mgt. consultant) and myself have been mulling over an idea to write a book entitled: The Organic Project - or something similar.

Without giving too much away, the premise is that PMs are basically useless bottlenecks who, instead of taking the load off the implementors of any task, simply burden them with crap and line-reporting overheads.

Bee hives don't have 'project manager' bees.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            A good friend (Mgt Consultant) and myself have been mulling over an idea to write a book entitled: The Organic Project - or something similar.

Without giving too much away, the premise is that PMs are basically useless bottlenecks who, instead of taking the load off the implementors of any task, simply burden them with crap and line-reporting overheads.

Bee hives don't have project manager bees.
            It's a poor idea that won't wash and has been pathetically presented. I just don't think I could work with you and so for those reasons I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              It's a poor idea that won't wash and has been pathetically presented. I just don't think I could work with you and so for those reasons I'm out.
              You're not that sour old bitch Deborah Meaden are you?
              Last edited by bogeyman; 28 February 2008, 17:05.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

A good friend (mgt. consultant) and myself have been mulling over an idea to write a book entitled: The Organic Project - or something similar.

That sounds like a good idea. Please write a status report by wednesday and utilise the gantt chart to write down the estimation times to be completed. And one more thing? Why are you so late already? Can't you see it from my chart? You are slow. If you were faster I could give you 2% of my bonus instead of the usual 1%. So now that I have motivated you, please keep up the excellent work. I am off to the status meeting with more senior managers. Bye.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

A good friend (Mgt Consultant) and myself have been mulling over an idea to write a book entitled: The Organic Project - or something similar.

Bee hives don't have project manager bees.
                  Ah, if only running a project was like making honey. Or maybe a better statement is if only people were like bees. If everyone just knew what they were doing and did it, then I agree there is no need for PMs.

Luckily for me, people are not like bees.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Good PMs reduce the amount of crap implementors have to deal with.

Bees don't work to budgets and schedules or post on CUK all day.

I am a PM and I do get sick of having to push people and get updates all the time but clients have expectations and my main job is managing them.

Anyway, enough from me...
                    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Working...
                    X