• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

liquidate/dissolve

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

liquidate/dissolve

Hi,

I'm trying to get rid of my company before the new capital gains tax rules come in.

My accountant says I can dissolve the company, but I have to have not traded for three months, otherwise I would have to liquidate the company but this would cost at least £5,000.

What's the difference between liquidating and dissolving?

Also, is it legal to announce the new rules with less than three months to go - presumably to steal an extra £5,000+ pounds from everyone???

You probably still have time to get ESC C16 clearance, prepare your final accounts, pay all company bills (taxes etc.) and distribute the remaining funds to shareholders before April 6th (although it's tight).

You still have to wait a while after that before the company is then dissolved as it takes 3 months (as you said), but the bank accounts can be empty for those last months.

So the company isn't dissolved until after April 6th, but you get the funds out before April 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
      Hi,

I'm trying to get rid of my company before the new capital gains tax rules come in.

My accountant says I can dissolve the company, but I have to have not traded for three months, otherwise I would have to liquidate the company but this would cost at least £5,000.

Also, is it legal to announce the new rules with less than three months to go - presumably to steal an extra £5,000+ pounds from everyone???
      You will have to apply for ESC C16 and cease trading (i.e. declare to tax man that you have ceased trading). You will then need to prepare your final accounts, and pay any corporation tax due on them. Once you've done this you can take the money out the company. Good luck - you're leaving it late.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
        Hi,

Took me over 6 months ...

Comment

Working...
        X