• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Afghanistan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afghanistan

Having watched the excellent series on Sky by Grant Mitchell, I have nothing but the utmost respect for out boys fighting out in Afghanistan, they are a credit to our nation-we should not blame them for the rights and wrongs of why we are actually their.

Is it only me who is at a loss as to why our troops are fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan? I remember that we first sent troops after 9/11 to find Osama, whether this was a success or not we do not know (I personally think he's dead) is it not time to cut our losses and pull the troops out?

What do we have to gain from this, and more importantly what do we have to lose.

Discuss

Originally posted by HRH View Post
    Having watched the excellent series on Sky by Grant Mitchell, I have nothing but the utmost respect for out boys fighting out in Afghanistan, they are a credit to our nation-we should not blame them for the rights and wrongs of why we are actually their.

Is it only me who is at a loss as to why our troops are fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan? I remember that we first sent troops after 9/11 to find Osama, whether this was a success or not we do not know (I personally think he's dead) is it not time to cut our losses and pull the troops out?

What do we have to gain from this, and more importantly what do we have to lose.

Discuss
    If you de-stabilise and effect regime change in a country, you should probably stick around until it's fixed again.

Whilst the Taleban were a complete bunch of religious nut-jobs they did have a calming effect in the region and until Kharzai gets of his skinny arse and starts governing we won't leave.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
      Discuss
      No.

Rhubarb.

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
        No.

Rhubarb.
        By god you will. Come up with a cohesive argument. NOW!
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          There was one survivor of the 1st Afghan war...
          Go on, tell us more. How did you do it?

Was it some sort of masonic mistaken identity type thing, and you came undone by a woman called Roxanna scratching your chest and proving you're human (Well lizardlike) after all?
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            By god you will. Come up with a cohesive argument. NOW!

Rhubarb.

Comment

The obvious reason we are still fighting is Rambo. He was helping them out in Rambo III, so I guess he must still be there!
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                The obvious reason we are still fighting is Rambo. He was helping them out in Rambo III, so I guess he must still be there!
                Call spetsnaz...

Comment

We went there because the nasty Taliban were subjecting the people of Afghanistan to their form of goverment, a bit like Zimbabwe only without the oi.. terrorists. Also that nice man Mr Bin Laden was using it as his base, a bit like he's using Pakistan now, but we like Pakistan and they have nuclear weapons to do the job themselves. It certainly had absolutely nothing to do with having a convenient excuse to provide security for a proposed oil pipeline across the country at all.
                  Last edited by M_B; 29 February 2008, 12:28.

Comment

Originally posted by M_B View Post
                    It certainly had absolutely nothing to do with having a convenient excuse to provide security for a proposed oil pipeline across the country at all.
                    NATO (and thus Britain) had to go to Afganistan because of obligations to USA as a member of NATO that was agreed to have been under attack (9/11).

Afganistan's government had a choice - hand over Bin Laden or accept that he was acting on their behalf. They chosen the latter, not suprisingly given connection between Bin Laden and Taleban, so they had to face the consequences of their decision.

The problem of Afganistan is that the job was not actually done - Bin Laden was not caught and generally for a few years attention moved to Iraq, so Taleban was able to regroup.

Comment

Working...
                    X