• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I think my girlfriend might propose tonight...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my girlfriend might propose tonight...

...and I'm absolutely bricking it!

She's been dropping unsubtle hints left right and centre for about a year, since her best friend got engaged, about me buying her a ring, and everytime a special occassion comes around, i.e. xmas, valentines, holidays etc I get "When are you going to buy me a diamond?" / "A perfect opportunity for you to buy me a ring!" etc etc etc.

More recently she's been saying "Did you know that February 29th is the only day of the year that a girl can ask a man for marriage?" and as first I was like uh huh, that's nice dear... but now that I've been reminded yesterday by email and this morning by text message I think she might be serious...

It's not that I wouldn't want to marry her, I'm just not ready for all that at the moment...
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Take steps!

Take steps, flipping big ones and run away.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Go for drinks after work and don't return until 3am tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post

She's been dropping unsubtle hints left right and centre for about a year, since her best friend got engaged, about me buying her a ring, and everytime a special occassion comes around, i.e. xmas, valentines, holidays etc I get "When are you going to buy me a diamond?" / "A perfect opportunity for you to buy me a ring!" etc etc etc.

More recently she's been saying "Did you know that February 29th is the only day of the year that a girl can ask a man for marriage?" and as first I was like uh huh, that's nice dear... but now that I've been reminded yesterday by email and this morning by text message I think she might be serious...

It's not that I wouldn't want to marry her, I'm just not ready for all that at the moment...
        Tell her someone else already asked you
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

marriage is finding out what sort of man your wife would have preferred.

Comment

Sounds like a bunny boiler to me.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

You really need to have a think if she is the right women for you, an engagement can last many many years, it simply shows some commitment. Either that or go along in a sham relationship like 80% of the country and add to the divorce statistics in 5 years time.

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
                You really need to have a think if she is the right women for you, an engagement can last many many years, it simply shows some commitment. Either that or go along in a sham relationship like 80% of the country and add to the divorce statistics in 5 years time.
                Well, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out... and why I'm not ready to decide yet or to ask her. I think it takes a long time and experience of one another to determine that.

She's not a bunny boiler, she could just be winding me up, but I think that perhaps cos some of her close friends, and old friends (DAMN FACEBOOK!) are getting hitched (they have all had longer relationships than we have had) she is feeling she's being left behind?
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

that's terrible. I considered my g'friend might be thinking about the same thing on valentine's day, in the middle of the evening she brought up the fact she'd found out that Feb 29th is traditionally that unique day, I think she might have been fishing to see my reaction.. a subtle let down, a huge chocolate torte dessert and a romantic movie later, she dropped the subject.

I really dont know what i'd do if she asked either, if you like her but the time isnt yet I'd say go for the long engagement, if she really isnt the person for you then i'd say it's time to pick an argument the minute you walk through the door, moody, grumpy, had a bad day, dont wanna talk about anything MrRobin
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Well, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out... and why I'm not ready to decide yet or to ask her. I think it takes a long time and experience of one another to determine that.

She's not a bunny boiler, she could just be winding me up, but I think that perhaps cos some of her close friends, and old friends (DAMN FACEBOOK!) are getting hitched (they have all had longer relationships than we have had) she is feeling she's being left behind?
                    Feel free to tell me to mind my own, but if you don't mind me asking-how long have you been together? Do you have a timeframe for when you will be ready?

Whatever you do, DONT get drunk tonight as women are clever and will use booze to dupe you into saying yes-this happened to a mate of mine who is getting married in Sept and really doesn't want to!

Comment

Working...
                    X