• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a Numpty!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a Numpty!!

Language barrier scuppers walker

A man who planned to walk from Bristol to India without any money has quit, after getting as far as Calais, France.
    Mark Boyle, 28, who set out four weeks ago with only T-shirts, a bandage and sandals, hoped to rely on the kindness of strangers for food and lodging.

But, because he could not speak French, people thought he was free-loading or an asylum seeker.

He now plans to walk around the coast of Britain instead, learning French as he goes, so he can try again next year. (Quality!! That means he will get as far as the German Border before having to turn back! You couldn't make it up!)

Mr Boyle, a former organic food company boss(), belongs to the Freeconomy movement which wants to get rid of money altogether.

In his online diary at the start of his journey to Porbander, Gandhi's birthplace, he said he was given two free dinners on his first evening away in Glastonbury.

Later, he was joined in Dover by two companions(additional workdodgers!), and the three managed to get to Calais.

But in one of his last entries, he wrote: "...not only did no one not speak the language, they had also seen us as just a bunch of freeloading backpackers, which is the complete opposite of what the pilgrimage is really about.

"That really scared us and given that we now were pretty much out of food, hadn't slept in days and were really cold, we had to reassess the whole situation."

Mr Boyle said he could not explain in words the disappointment he felt at abandoning the journey and he apologised to his supporters. (Supporters? )

But he added: "Whilst walking in the UK, I intend to learn French and to hit the continent again as soon as we feel we are ready."
    Really researched this jaunt well eh?
    Knucklehead!!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Really researched this jaunt well eh?
    Knucklehead!!

Linky please? I want to send this round the office for a Friday laugh ...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Linky please? I want to send this round the office for a Friday laugh ...
      There you go.
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nwalker129.xml

Comment

Ta
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Talking of being a numpty: I walked across a golf course once and was met on the otherside by a very angry man carrying a machine gun, who told me it wasn't allowed to walk on the grass, and I would have to go back and walk around.

I tried to explain that would then mean I had walked across the grass twice, so he talked to someone on the radio, agreed that was logical so I could continue, and then fiddled with the safety on his gun.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            Talking of being a numpty: I walked across a golf course once and was met on the otherside by a very angry man carrying a machine gun, who told me it wasn't allowed to walk on the grass, and I would have to go back and walk around.

I tried to explain that would then mean I had walked across the grass twice, so he talked to someone on the radio, agreed that was logical so I could continue, and then fiddled with the safety on his gun.
            threaded
            Godlike

Good effort on the 5000 posts!

Comment

You couldn't make this stuff up
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                "...not only did no one not speak the language, they had also seen us as just a bunch of freeloading backpackers...
                Hmmm. Quite astute of them I'd say.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

*** NEWS UPDATE ***

Language barrier scuppers walker AGAIN

A man who planned to walk around the coast of Britain without any money has quit, after getting as far as Portsmouth.

Mark Boyle, 28, who set out a week ago with only a sombrero and a pot noodle, hoped to rely on the kindness of strangers for food and lodging.

But, because he could not speak Polish, people thought he was free-loading or a Brit.

He now plans to walk around his back garden learning Polish so he can try again next year.

He commented: "Whilst walking in my back garden, I intend to learn Polish and to hit the road again as soon as I feel I am ready."

Comment

Language barrier scuppers walker yet AGAIN
                    **FURTHER NEWS UPDATE **

A man who planned to walk around London without any money has quit, after getting as far as Ealing.

Mark Boyle, 28, who set out 2 hours ago with only a kebab, hoped to rely on the kindness of strangers for food and lodging.

But, because he could not speak chav, people thought he was a free-loading ponce.

He now plans to walk around his front room muttering "trouble and strife, say no more son, knock it on the 'ead, innit" so he can try again next year.

He commented: "Whilst walking in my front room, I intend to learn to be a Pearly Queen and to hit the road again as soon as I feel I am ready."
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X