• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Portable USB drives keep breaking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Portable USB drives keep breaking

My Portable USB drives (note: not USB memory sticks) keep breaking.

I've gone through about 4 in the last 14 months.

All my Freecom portable USB drives ... the USB connector snapped off the solder at the drive end.

My 2 x Seagate USB Drives just suddenly started flashing and the USB on any machine could not detect them.

Data has been lost (not a big deal) but the cost has been immense.

Thankfully the Seagates have warranty for a few years.

Iomega - never had one fail.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Iomega - never had one fail.

Iomega - never had one not fail

Comment

I've had a freecom toughdrive 100gb for 18 months with built in usb connector and never had a problem with it and plan to get one of their 250gb toughdrives

fantastic for holding all the .Net doco when contracting

strange that you had a problem with Freecom toughdrives, what did Freecom say ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

strange that you had a problem with Freecom toughdrives, what did Freecom say ?
          Yeah I want to know too.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think the brand is pretty irrelevant.

They all use drives from one of the big (Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, Fujitsu) disk mfrs.

Whatever brand it has on the box, inside will be one of the above.

Even within brand and model, they use different parts.

I have two 'identical' LaCie 500Mb external firewire drives and inside (yes I looked, don't ask) one has a Fujitsu drive and the other has a Seagate drive).

Depends on availability/bought-in cost at time of manufacture I suppose.

Whatever. External drives WILL fail, the more you hump them around the sooner they'll die.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
              Data has been lost (not a big deal) but the cost has been immense.
              Sounds like you are the problem here. USB not connecting is neither here not there. Take the drive out and connect it via IDE to the main PC to see if it is the drive or the enclosure that is borked. If drive is still failing then get some rescue software on it to see what is dead. I have never had a drive so shafted you could not see something on it.

Hard drives are cheap as chips these days so how has the cost been immense?
              my ferret is your ferret

Comment

bogeyman, with respect, you may have more bogeys than anyone else, but you didn't read the main point of the thread,

he said, he had four freecom drives and the usb connectors came off

I've lugged a freecom toughdrive 100gb with built in usb connector like this one http://ngvi.ebay.co.uk/vi?ngvi&backt...xbVjf9pA4hw%3D

and I've not had a problem for 18 months touch wood.

so we're not talking about the disk inside, but the quality of the usb connector

please try to play less with your bogeys and focus on the thread

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                  Sounds like you are the problem here. USB not connecting is neither here not there. Take the drive out and connect it via IDE to the main PC to see if it is the drive or the enclosure that is borked. If drive is still failing then get some rescue software on it to see what is dead. I have never had a drive so shafted you could not see something on it.

Hard drives are cheap as chips these days so how has the cost been immense?
                  Good advice there Ferret.

Usually it is the mechanical problems (bent pins, worn connectors, cr@p cables) that are the culprits. The standard USB connector has to be the worst designed connector ever (built to a price, not a specification).

But I have, unhappily, encountered disks so utterly sha@gged that they couldn't even spin up.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    bogeyman, with respect, you may have more bogeys than anyone else, but you didn't read the main point of the thread.
                    Hi Milan,

I think there's a tape mount request on unit 587.

Get busy boy.

Comment

Working...
                    X