• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driver jailed for 4 yrs for txting whilst driving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver jailed for 4 yrs for txting whilst driving

A motorist who was texting on her mobile phone when she hit and killed a cyclist has been sentenced to four years in prison.

Jordan Wickington, 19, died from head injuries when he went through a red light and was struck by Kiera Coultas' car in Southampton in February 2007.

"In this particular incident, it transpired from a phone analysis that there was phone use close to the time of the incident."

So cyclist jumps a red light and driver involved is jailed for 4 years.

Hmm.

I hate cyclists. They frequently jump lights. They are always all hot and sweaty and stressed out. Here in London they are despised by drivers AND pedestrians.

A few weeks ago when I was crossing the road (green man on) a cyclist rang his bell at me as he came past through the red light!!! I shouted at him and offered to discuss the matter in more depth, but he decided to continue cycling off.

Spineless prat.
    Last edited by Xenophon; 29 February 2008, 13:42. Reason: typo
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      A motorist who was texting on her mobile phone when she hit and killed a cyclist has been sentenced to four years in prison.

Jordan Wickington, 19, died from head injuries when he went through a red light and was struck by Kiera Coultas' car in Southampton in February 2007.

"In this particular incident, it transpired from a phone analysis that there was phone use close to the time of the incident."

So cyclist jumps a red light and driver involved is jailed for 4 years.

Hmm.
      If she was texting while driving, she deserved it. whether she hit someone or not.
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

He was a stupid git for going through the red light, but she deserves it for texting while driving.

Comment

Fun with statistics time: if you ride a bicycle you are safer to jump red lights than to wait at them. Incidentally as female cyclists tend to be more rule abiding they tend to over-represent the ones killed waiting at red lights.

There again I've been seen to go from a trackstand, through a barrel roll over the railings, to a trackstand on the pavement to avoid being cheese grated by a red-light jumping artic whilst waiting at the lights.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
            Spineless prat.
            Was it David Cameron?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Was it David Cameron?
              No. It was some crusty courier.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

This is the point where someone shrugs and says " we've all done it".

Not me sunshine - not texting whilst driving and not running red lights when cycling I don't and haven't. Anyone who does gets zero sympathy from me. Sounds like quite a lenient sentence for killing someone, but the cyclist was the partial author of his own downfall. Two people I won't miss sharing the roads with
                Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 29 February 2008, 13:49. Reason: spelling again

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Was it David Cameron?
                  Probably threaded
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

There is a bit of a witch hunt out for drivers who use mobiles whilst driving.

In another case, a woman killed a pensioner after she pulled out at a busy junction after being flashed and was hit by another car and span into the pavement. Her crime was alledgedly propping her mobile against her ear whilst turning. She denied it but was still jailed for two years.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X