• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standing shoulder to shoulder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing shoulder to shoulder

We can always trust our US friends to be there for us in our time of need. From Auntie

US troops ordered to avoid London

Thousands of US military personnel based in the UK have been banned by commanders from travelling to London in the wake of Thursday's bomb attacks.
    Personnel, most of them from US Air Force units at RAF Mildenhall and RAF Lakenheath, in Suffolk, have been told not to go within the M25 motorway.

Family members who are from the US are also being urged to stay away.

The US air force said the order had been made in the interests of the safety of its troops.

'Safety paramount'

Most of the 12,000 US personnel in the UK are based at Mildenhall and Lakenheath.

"We are concerned about the safety of our folks and are trying to do what we can to protect them," RAF Mildenhall spokesman Matt Tulis said.

"This is the best course of action right now."

He added that the order was also made to give police time to "do their job" following the Tube and bus bombings.

RAF Lakenheath spokesman, Staff Sgt Jeff Hamm, said: "Because the attacks were so recent there is an uncertainty as to the reasons why and how imminent the threat is right now.

In this difficult hour, the people of Great Britain can know the American people stand with you

US president George W Bush

Bush calls for action on terror

"Obviously it is in the interests of the air force to ensure its personnel are as vigilant and as safe as possible."

He said the US sympathised with Londoners, but added: "While it's important for some to carry on business as usual, the interests in keeping the air force out of harm's way until we have a bit more knowledge about what has happened is greater than the need to send them back into the city."

Service personnel are being allowed to use the M25 to get to Heathrow or Gatwick airports.

Details of the travel ban, enforced on Friday, emerged as US President George W Bush said the US would "not retreat in the face of terrorists" .

He said: "In this difficult hour, the people of Great Britain can know the American people stand with you."

The president said the US remained committed to military action against terrorist groups.

"We continue to take the fight to the enemy and will fight till this enemy is defeated," he told the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia.
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

It won't keep 'em out of Harrogate though, will it?

Comment

In this difficult hour, the people of Great Britain can know the American people stand with you."

Or, more accurately, behind you!

Comment

Presumably US forces personnel are also banned from crossing the road, driving, smoking, putting on their trousers or using guns? All considerably more dangerous than stepping within the M25. Unless you go to Staines of course.

Comment

Without wishing to enter conspiracy theory territory, is it possible that such a ban is based on information not available to the public, or is it just the Americans being overly cautious?
          Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Breaking News

This ban has now been lifted. From Auntie

US lifting 'avoid London' order

The US military has rescinded an order to its personnel to avoid London in the aftermath of the bombings.
            Personnel, most of them from US Air Force units at RAF Mildenhall and RAF Lakenheath, in Suffolk, were told last week not to go within the M25 motorway.

But there was criticism that it sent out the wrong signals at a time when the emphasis was on "business as usual" in London after the attacks.

The US embassy said the order had been reviewed and had now been lifted.

The US air force said the order had been made in the interests of the safety of its personnel.

The prime minister's official spokesman described the ban as "a temporary measure that has been reviewed".

Defence Secretary John Reid told BBC News he had been "trying to get to the bottom of this".

But he emphasised that the decision was taken locally in the immediate aftermath of the bombings, when many companies were telling staff to stay out of central London because of the confusion and the need to leave emergency services unhindered.

Safety 'paramount'

Most of the 12,000 US personnel in the UK are based at Mildenhall and Lakenheath.

Lieutenant Gloria Smith, based at RAF Mildenhall, said: "It's just a prudent measure, it's normal procedure any time there's such an incident.

"Our presence in Great Britain is our voice of saying we stand with the British people. We have a long historic relationship and we will stay here to stand by the British people."

In this difficult hour, the people of Great Britain can know the American people stand with you

US president George W Bush

Bush calls for action on terror

US Charge D'affairs David Johnson said the embassy was advising Americans to go about their business as usual in London.

"You should be aware of your surroundings and that's what we're telling people who work in our building, that's what we're telling American citizens who inquire of advice from us."

Conservative defence spokesman Andrew Robathan said: "I suspect that this was a decision made when London was not a place to visit, on Thursday and Friday.

"I also suspect it was a decision made by somebody who was rather risk-averse - perhaps a middle-rank commander, not one of the top people."

Do you agree with the ban? Send us your comments using the form below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following comments reflect the balance of opinion we have received so far:

I am an American expat and I have lived here for more than 10 years. I have nothing but admiration for those who have shown true bravery of just getting on with their lives in defiance of the bombings. Banning US personnel from going into London sends the wrong signal to the bombers; it's a pity the brave men and women in the American military are being forced to appear silly, weak and frightened. Is this the image the US really wants terrorists to see?
            Jean, Colchester

So the US troops are to keep clear of London to allow the emergency services to do their job? Even if all the service personnel went into London at the same time, it's a drop in the ocean compared to all the Londoners who are bravely carrying on with daily life and would hardly hinder the emergency services. Surely it's better to have a few people who are trained to cope with emergencies and to be vigilant in and around the capital, rather than staying cosy on their bases. I live in Suffolk and I don't mind the USAF being here, but when in Rome guys....
            Annie, Suffolk, UK

I don't ever remember being told not to go to London or any other affected city

Joseph T. Peterson, Louisville, KY, USA

I have a unique perspective, as I grew up in Barton Mills, near both RAF Lakenheath and RAF Mildenhall. I attended high school at RAF Lakenheath, in the 70's when the IRA was bombing London and other cities in the UK. I don't ever remember being told not to go to London or any other affected city. We also endured bomb threats at our high school from time to time. So, I think that it is shortsighted to ban travel by US forces to London at the moment. It certainly does not show solidarity with the British people. I would hope that American citizens would do the same as other citizens did for NYC after 9/11 and flock to London in a demonstration of support for Great Britain and thumb their noses at those who seek to impose their world view through violence rather than intellect.
            Joseph T. Peterson, Louisville, KY, USA

This sort of thing is quite common for military personnel. Off duty US troops are a prime target for terrorists, the Berlin disco bombs are the most memorable. Its not just US soldiers who have these restrictions put on them either. Most of the bars in West Belfast have been or are off limits for UK troops. Bars in Cyprus carry similar restrictions. As a TA soldier in Newcastle I was ordered to avoid two pubs which were know to attract Irish republican sympathisers. That said, the Wing Commander at Mildenhall has acted quite unwisely. His message is contrary to that of President Bush's.
            Peter, Nottingham

As a veteran (USMC 1987-1993) and a British citizen, I wholeheartedly disagree with the travel ban. What the American commanders are saying is that the lives of American military personnel are somehow more precious than ordinary people. Yes, they do have an important job to do, but they are no better than anyone else. Furthermore, by not lifting the ban the commanders are letting the terrorists/murderers win their sick game. We cannot, and will not, let them win.
            Susanne Lutley, Godstone, Surrey, UK

It really is a matter for the USAF. I believe the RAF may well advise, if not order, their personnel to avoid London as well. Bearing in mind that the routine station orders are supposed to be confidential, this advice/order should not be common knowledge.
            Rick Millington, Lutterworth

As an American living in London, I feel that this ban is over cautious. If those of us residing in London have been able to return to a semblance of normalcy, why shouldn't they have that option? Those men and women have been very well trained on how to behave and deal with crisis situations, which I hope will not be tested here.
            Amanda Lynn, American in London, UK

Previous generations of Americans were made of sterner stuff

Dan Tanzey, England

Clearly previous generations of Americans were made of sterner stuff. Throughout their time in the UK in WW2, Americans soldiers routinely travelled to London to enjoy the sights and the experience. I would suggest that the present crop listen rather to the voices of their ancestors, ignore the terrorists' threats - as Londoners are doing - and continue to live a normal life.
            Dan Tanzey, England

This is ridiculous. I thought the US and Britain stood "shoulder to shoulder" on terrorism.
            Rob Lesslie, Bristol, UK

Typical! For all the rhetoric about Americans being our greatest ally and standing by us, they are the FIRST to be scared away. Next it'll be the tourists who stay away from London.
            Paul Gould, Brighton, UK

This could be construed as "looking after their own" - surely they are able to make their own decisions as individuals and to say that they don't want to hinder the police! How exactly would they do that - just stick to the safety angle and not look for excuses.
            Sean Kyne, London

How can the Americans claim they 'stand with us' and yet ban their military people from entering the M25 cordon? Does this not contradict their own President and send the wrong type of message to the terrorists? American military don't generally wear uniforms in the city and are therefore not the only target, as was shown on Thursday!
            Nick Clifford, Chatham, UK

The British stood side by side America in its campaign in Afghanistan and Iraq, yet on our home turf the Americans stand behind us - but how far? I can hear them, but I can't see them.
            Veronica Culpan, London, UK
            Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Talk about making an issue out of nothing!

Mailman

Comment

Staines?

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                Presumably US forces personnel are also banned from crossing the road, driving, smoking, putting on their trousers or using guns? All considerably more dangerous than stepping within the M25. Unless you go to Staines of course.
                I'm working in Staines. What do you know that I don't?

Comment

Only what Ali G tells me!

Comment

It was probably standard procedure for military staff based overseas -- must have been automatically invoked and then withdrawn once politicans started taking the flak.

Comment

Working...
                    X