• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seriously Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously Boomed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7264519.stm

The buy-to-let property market is still thriving, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML).
    The number of buy-to-let loans rose by 23% last year, taking their number to 1,038,000 and accounting for 10.3% of all outstanding mortgages.

This lending picked up in the second half of the year at a time when general mortgage lending was starting to fall.

Tim Hague, of the buy-to-let mortgage lender Birmingham Midshires, predicted the market would continue to be buoyant this coming year.

"With demand continuing to outstrip supply, buy-to-let will continue to be in demand due to socio-economic factors such as rising immigration," he said.

Last edited by DimPrawn; 3 March 2008, 14:57. Reason: Thank you New Labour. You have made me seriously wealthy with no border controls.

Nice

Well the only people that can get good mortgage deals nowadays are BTLers with major equity in their properties

Those with property and equity are going to clean up as prices drop because the banks wont touch first time buyers and high risk.

So the buoyent housing market is probably true, but as prices drop, its going to be harder to get a mortgage so in effect, for those poor sods trying to buy there own home, its not really going to help much. BTLers who can raise 25% + are laughing AFAICS

However there is hope in sight. The government will intervene and implement some half baked poorly thought out rescue plan which will scr3w the BTL'ers and the FTB's equally and **** the housing market 10 times worse than it would be if left to the mercy of market forces.

Its depressingly predictable.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      "With demand continuing to outstrip supply
      It's the same as to say demand for Porsches outstrips supply, just because lots of people want to get on the housing ladder does not mean they will be able to because many simply won't get high enough morgage, so it is either fall in house prices OR inflation. In USA they are opting for the latter but I reckon they will get both anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post

However there is hope in sight. The government will intervene and implement some half baked poorly thought out rescue plan which will scr3w the BTL'ers and the FTB's equally and **** the housing market 10 times worse than it would be if left to the mercy of market forces.
        It would be best if they would remove tax relief on mortgage interest payments. I suspect that would screw over a healthy number of BTLers. Or bring back Miras for folks who only own one home.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Im just glad Im on the ladder at a young age, some of my friends will be dooomed, dooomed I tells ya!

Comment

I thought you were getting out of BTL, DP?
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
              I thought you were getting out of BTL, DP?
              Into, out of, ducking, diving, wheeling dealing and generally posting complete tulipe.

HTH

Comment

Into, out of, ducking, diving, wheeling dealing and generally posting complete tulipe.

HTH
                Good man.
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7264519.stm

The buy-to-let property market is still thriving, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML).
                  The number of buy-to-let loans rose by 23% last year, taking their number to 1,038,000 and accounting for 10.3% of all outstanding mortgages.

This lending picked up in the second half of the year at a time when general mortgage lending was starting to fall.

Tim Hague, of the buy-to-let mortgage lender Birmingham Midshires, predicted the market would continue to be buoyant this coming year.

"With demand continuing to outstrip supply, buy-to-let will continue to be in demand due to socio-economic factors such as rising immigration," he said.

Told you all so
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                  X