• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to protest French Style

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to protest French Style

"LADIES and Gentlemen, here is the news. As expected, from 7am this morning, a line of local taxis blocked the A30 dual carriageway and brought morning commuters to a standstill for several hours. A spokesman for the taxi companies involved said it was a protest against the threat to their businesses by the possible introduction of more licences."

True or false?

Well, not true here, but very true indeed in the Brittany region of France.

This very thing happened only a couple of weeks ago. One of the busiest dual carriageways from Brest to everywhere else - their version of the A38 - was totally blocked by irate taxi drivers. And like many other such protests everyone, my sister-in-law included, knew exactly when it would happen.

You may recall how the French farmers are similarly organised. Issues centring on farm subsidies, the old matter of British beef imports, the power of Brussels and so on have all been the subject of protests of one kind or another. Remember how the roads to the ports were blocked by tractors and lorries?

In France, it seems that the farmers can drum up a protest like that in about 24 hours flat. They must have a superb communication network - matched only by our ability to get 300 small children collected from school gates in the unlikely event of 3.7cm of snow falling - which will inevitably bring the UK to a complete standstill for several weeks.

Read in full.....

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/display...=sidebarsearch

Originally posted by Lambros View Post
    "LADIES and Gentlemen, here is the news. As expected, from 7am this morning, a line of local taxis blocked the A30 dual carriageway and brought morning commuters to a standstill for several hours. A spokesman for the taxi companies involved said it was a protest against the threat to their businesses by the possible introduction of more licences."

True or false?

This very thing happened only a couple of weeks ago. One of the busiest dual carriageways from Brest to everywhere else - their version of the A38 - was totally blocked by irate taxi drivers. And like many other such protests everyone, my sister-in-law included, knew exactly when it would happen.

You may recall how the French farmers are similarly organised. Issues centring on farm subsidies, the old matter of British beef imports, the power of Brussels and so on have all been the subject of protests of one kind or another. Remember how the roads to the ports were blocked by tractors and lorries?

In France, it seems that the farmers can drum up a protest like that in about 24 hours flat. They must have a superb communication network - matched only by our ability to get 300 small children collected from school gates in the unlikely event of 3.7cm of snow falling - which will inevitably bring the UK to a complete standstill for several weeks.

Read in full.....

What has this got to do with the Iraq war?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      What has this got to do with the Iraq war?
      Quite, and what will it do to house prices?

Comment

Dodgy Agent - Where is the Iraq War mentioned in this thread?

I was referring to petrol price protest in 2000.

The price of fuel here in the UK is far tooo high and I am told by the summer we are going to be paying £1.50 a litre

Comment

fathers 4 justice have considered similar - except need red goo to create a traffic jam. gets the media into a frenzy.

Comment

True or false?

Read in full.....

Can we blame Nieu Liemore for this?

Comment

Its the power of the unions init.

Why don't us contractors all form and join our own union, and if one of us doesn't get the rate rise we want then we all go on strike from our respective companies...

Comment

Where is the Iraq War mentioned in this thread?
                I dunno, I think this thread is misleading.

I know everyone moans about the cost of petrol, but I seem to recall, when I was a lad, my dad filling up and it costing something like £2.50 a gallon !

I don't know what that is in litres or whatever they use, but it sure as heck sounded a lot compared to £1.50 or whatever the price is now.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Dodgy Agent - Where is the Iraq War mentioned in this thread?

I was referring to petrol price protest in 2000.

The price of fuel here in the UK is far tooo high and I am told by the summer we are going to be paying £1.50 a litre
                  Live with it or get a bike
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    I dunno, I think this thread is misleading.

I know everyone moans about the cost of petrol, but I seem to recall, when I was a lad, my dad filling up and it costing something like £2.50 a gallon !

I don't know what that is in litres or whatever they use, but it sure as heck sounded a lot compared to £1.50 or whatever the price is now.
                    If only they'd sell petrol by the decilitre, there'd be no issue. Who cares when the pump price is only 15p/dl.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X