• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors working from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractors working from home

What does working from home mean to you?

Witty poll to follow.
    A pipe dream in this contract
    25.45%
    A common occurance; I only go to client to deliver work etc
    10.91%
    An occasional and convenient way to work whilst awaiting a delivery / the plumber
    20.00%
    An excuse to catch up with household tasks but keeping an eye on the inbox
    16.36%
    As good as a day off
    21.82%
    AndyW 4 Denny
    5.45%
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Find a job you like and you'll never have to work a day in your life - that's what working from home means to me
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

When I've worked from home, I get all the work done in about 2 hours. On site, if I do that, they'll add more work - that's why I have to be here so often.

A side benefit of work from home is that I get to sexually harass the secretary.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Find a job you like and you'll never have to work a day in your life - that's what working from home means to me
        100 million Indians cant be wrong
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Well the other way of looking at it, is that the vast majority of us have always worked 'from' home', but there is an increasing trend towards working 'at' home??

Sorry,

Kevlong

Comment

I do it mainly to save on commuting time. Still seems odd that I'm not completely knackered by Friday.

I have to admit that on my two days at home I usually get less done, but then I find it's easier to be focused and motivated when I am on site. Perhaps this working 5 days a week convention is stupid, and if everybody worked every other day we'd all get more done. Though I'd prefer not to have to have the 40% cut in income.

Sadly my secretary is an accountants office 100 miles away, so no sexual harrasment for me.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I used to get more done at home than in the office.

Would love to do it more, but client will only give a secure laptop to permies.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I started working from home in January and it is like a holiday.

I'm doing support stuff. So far been getting about 2 or 3 calls a day. I'd say about 2 hours work a day.

The rest of the time should be pro-actively working on skills in homelab. Which is great but can require discipline.

Bit of a dream job really.

Lasy year I got really p'd off with IT. The stress, stuff breaking, commuting, nobody actually knowing what they are on about, idiot PMs and salesmen, incompetent colleagues, being stuck in an office with boring IT geeks (like me!).

Now working from home most of that stuff is just gone or it doesn't seem such a big deal. IT seems a great choice now. Actually starting to refind my love for technology.

Planning on this lasting 6 months at most (although hopefully a lot longer) and want to position myself with enough skills for the next step.

Comment

I think it's been said on this site before, but I'd be wary if my job could be done just as well remotely. If you're paying someone £500/day to work offsite in Islington, why not pay someone £50/day to work offsite in Bangalore?
                  I know the language barriers are often a problem and many people I've worked with have voiced concerns about working with dev/test teams offshore, it being hard to get a response, lack of visibility about what they are doing, questionable technical abilities etc, but in time natural / business selection will improve the quality of offshore teams and the beancounters will see it as a no-brainer to dump the expensive techie in London for several in Manilla.
                  In fact, many already do.
                  I keep repeating the mantra that business likes to be able to have access to local managers and leads for offshore projects, which will keep me in a job. Hopefully for a few more years, until I retrain as a plumber, or a fluffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                    I think it's been said on this site before, but I'd be wary if my job could be done just as well remotely. If you're paying someone £500/day to work offsite in Islington, why not pay someone £50/day to work offsite in Bangalore?
                    I know the language barriers are often a problem and many people I've worked with have voiced concerns about working with dev/test teams offshore, it being hard to get a response, lack of visibility about what they are doing, questionable technical abilities etc, but in time natural / business selection will improve the quality of offshore teams and the beancounters will see it as a no-brainer to dump the expensive techie in London for several in Manilla.
                    In fact, many already do.
                    I keep repeating the mantra that business likes to be able to have access to local managers and leads for offshore projects, which will keep me in a job. Hopefully for a few more years, until I retrain as a plumber, or a fluffer.

Quite
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X