• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

China to raise military spending

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China to raise military spending

Linky here China says it plans to increase military spending by nearly 18% this year to 417bn yuan ($59bn; £30bn).

The figure was revealed ahead of China's annual parliamentary session, which begins on Wednesday.

But experts believe the actual amount allocated to the Chinese military is two to three times larger than the published figure.

Critics also complain that China is not open enough about what it is spending the money on.

Most of this year's increase would be spent on increasing salaries and accommodating higher oil prices, said Jiang Enzhu, a spokesman for the National People's Congress.

He said spending on armaments would rise moderately

---------------------------------------

I know, I know, NickyG will be having a field day with this one.

However, a thought did cross my mind.

If I was the most promising, rising industrialised nation on the earth, with the biggest army and nukes, and had nothing to worry about...why on earth would I want to further increase military spending on more soldiers, nukes, etc..when I had more than anyone else in the first place ?

It just doesn't make sense.

Or....does it ?

Take it away Nicky....
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Linky here China says it plans to increase military spending by nearly 18% this year to 417bn yuan ($59bn; £30bn).

The figure was revealed ahead of China's annual parliamentary session, which begins on Wednesday.

But experts believe the actual amount allocated to the Chinese military is two to three times larger than the published figure.

Critics also complain that China is not open enough about what it is spending the money on.

Most of this year's increase would be spent on increasing salaries and accommodating higher oil prices, said Jiang Enzhu, a spokesman for the National People's Congress.

He said spending on armaments would rise moderately

---------------------------------------

I know, I know, NickyG will be having a field day with this one.

However, a thought did cross my mind.

If I was the most promising, rising industrialised nation on the earth, with the biggest army and nukes, and had nothing to worry about...why on earth would I want to further increase military spending on more soldiers, nukes, etc..when I had more than anyone else in the first place ?

Or....does it ?

Take it away Nicky....
    Take Nicky away

Comment

Either that or they could just be increasing the "published" figure to be more inline with the real figure.

Comment

Military spending = more jobs.
        For a communist government the army is a simple way of absorbing the unemployed into employment.
        Then theres all the factories making the guns and ammunition and other equipment.

Oh, and that pesky rebel island just off their coast
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I think the otherside of this is that the Chinese military is also massively outdated...so they have to increase spending to bring the vast bulk of their armed forces in to the late 19th century

Mailman

Comment

Nostradamus said "I told you so"
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

and on the other side of the world, the US spends close to half a trillion dollers per year on "defense"*
              *Quotes cause last time I looked invasion != defense
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

DOOMED!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X