• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying Bicycles through the company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Bicycles through the company

Hi

Can my LTD company, buy a bicycle through expenses without incurring the wrath of the HMRC

Cheers

James

Originally posted by James McDonagh View Post
    Hi

Can my LTD company, buy a bicycle through expenses without incurring the wrath of the HMRC

Cheers

James
    are you going to use it "Wholey an exclusively" for business use?

If not then it's a BIK

Comment

I belive there is some kind of government scheme to buy a bicycle through your company. It is run with certain bike shops and you have to register etc.

Comment

Yeah there is a scheme that allows you to do it as part of your PAYE settlement.

Comment

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

and

http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cy...ork_scheme.php

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
            are you going to use it "Wholey an exclusively" for business use?

If not then it's a BIK
            There is an approved scheme for this. Some permie colleagues have used it. Also worth noting that even so it is only a BIK if YourCo gives it to you gratis. If you pay a "market rate" to YourCo to use it there is no BIK to pay.

Comment

I beleive that the scheme allows you to purchase a bike out of your wages before tax is taken (hence the bike is tax free).

You must use it to cycle to work 50% of the time to qualify if my memory serves me right. Not sure who checks up on you tho'.

Comment

Would you not be best looking this up on HMRC website. I think there is something mentioning bicycles there. Your company can buy you one within limits I think, as long as it is majority used for work purposes.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
                  You must use it to cycle to work 50% of the time to qualify if my memory serves me right. Not sure who checks up on you tho'.
                  So if you own a Ltd company, whose registered office is your home address, couldn't you just cycle round the block where you live, five times over the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                    So if you own a Ltd company, whose registered office is your home address, couldn't you just cycle round the block where you live, five times over the weekend?

"personal services" tax vehicle.

HTH

Gordon.

Comment

Working...
                    X