• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suspicious Garage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspicious Garage

Took car in for a service and as expected had the usual phone call to say something else was wrong , only this time they are telling me the back tyres are illegal and require replacing.

The car has only done 6000 miles from new , is used by the wife to take kids to school and has barely been on the motorway.

The tyres are 132 quid each according to the garage , so I told then to forget it.

Now I am wondering if they have changed them for some worn ones , so when I go to pick it up it will be illegal
    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
    Took car in for a service and as expected had the usual phone call to say something else was wrong , only this time they are telling me the back tyres are illegal and require replacing.

The car has only done 6000 miles from new , is used by the wife to take kids to school and has barely been on the motorway.

The tyres are 132 quid each according to the garage , so I told then to forget it.

Now I am wondering if they have changed them for some worn ones , so when I go to pick it up it will be illegal
    You are counting dead chickens before they don't hatch
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Simple. If the rears are not the same make/model/tread as the fronts then ask them where the real tyres are. If they are from new then it will be the same make/model on the front/rear.

Also what is the make of the car....£132 a corner sounds steep. I only pay £120 a corner and that is with a really odd size with fairly low profile tyres.

Comment

Chalk that one up to experience. Always take a good note of the condition of your car before dropping it off. Also insist on being given any parts they claim to have replaced. They're your parts, not theirs, and it helps guard against the "oh yeah we changed the [insert part of your choice] honest guv" scam.

Comment

Is it front or rear wheel drive car? If it's front then probability that rear wheels were worm before front ones is rather slim.

Either way 6000 miles won't wear out tyres during normal driving, I had mine changed first time after around 36k miles on motorways.

Measure up them yourself when you get there - I think it should be like 3 mm, but on new tyres you get way more than that. If they are much more worn than front ones then I think they are trying to scam you - make sure you check manufacturers make/etc, they should match up with front ones on new cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Also what is the make of the car....£132 a corner sounds steep. I only pay £120 a corner and that is with a really odd size with fairly low profile tyres.
            A trucker mate of mine was just asking me where he could get tyres for his rig as cheap as you do.

Comment

If its a main dealer and based on the low miles I assume it is, main dealers will try anything on, when I took a newish car to a Ford main dealer for a service I was told I need a new exhaust and a few other bits, 20k miles later they were still going strong.

There is always the possibility though you misses is a closet boy racer and has been heading down the local tescos car park doing hand brake turns

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                A trucker mate of mine was just asking me where he could get tyres for his rig as cheap as you do.

We rent them. No, seriously. All the tyres at current ClientCo are leased.

Comment

Was in my garage today when this geeky nerd came in with his nearly new car. I can smell 'em a mile off, so the kerching signs swam in front my eyes. I'm now busy replacing all his parts with some from a wreck I had in the back yard. You should see the state of "his" rear tires. We're doing most of the engine parts now...
                  Kerching!!
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Was in my garage today when this geeky nerd came in with his nearly new car. I can smell 'em a mile off, so the kerching signs swam in front my eyes. I'm now busy replacing all his parts with some from a wreck I had in the back yard. You should see the state of "his" rear tires. We're doing most of the engine parts now...
                    Kerching!!

nicked car

Comment

Working...
                    X