• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Sending the right message?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Sending the right message?

AN Islamic academic who says suicide bombings are justified will preach to young Muslims in London at a conference funded by British taxpayers, The Sun can reveal.

Egyptian-born Prof Tariq Ramadan has been banned from the US for endorsing terrorism. France has also barred him.

Firstly, apologies that this is from The Sun - saw the headline at the garage this morning and could not believe it. On the news today police have been warning people against revenge attacks on muslims and on the same day......

Professor Ted Honderich says pretty much the same thing, although he isn't a Muslim.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

I think the UK needs to revise the way it is processing immigration application - I am not advocating a rejection of most immigrants but surely France is bound by more or less the same European principles as regards to immigration, however they are able to ban that man from entering whereas the UK is not. Why?

My view is that in the application/appeal process, the balance is tipped too much in favour of the applicant and their welfare

I am concious we have to avoid knee-jerk reactions and fall into racism and immigrants fear, but we need proper checks and balances as the UK is now a laughing stock amongst terrorists (London nicknamed Londonistan, tongue-in-cheek reports that the US nearly considered putting the UK in the list of countries who sponsor terrorism!)

Yes it is the Sun who uncovered the story, however it doesn't necessarily mean it's rubbish and it seems to me they have uncovered a true scandal.
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Trouble is Becs is that it is not the first time - don't you remember the Ken Livingstone welcoming committee for the last cleric who'd been slung out of the US and then there was 'Hook'. Unfortunately this is not a new problem and, you are right, immigration is completely out of control in this country.

Comment

Shouldn't there be tighter controls on Tax dodgers from NZ? Unless they hate rugby of course.

Comment

undeed there should! This illustrates my point entirely: not enough checks, not enough controls, a policy way too soft and lax. If even I can come here and dodge tax for years, how easy must it be for terrorists to do their stuff without being challenged?
            Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto
              Shouldn't there be tighter controls on Tax dodgers from NZ? Unless they hate rugby of course.
              You might be able to remind us...but when was the last terrorist bombing in London that was carried out by a kiwi?

I wonder though...id the police are warning people not to carry out revenge attacks, why arent these guys warning imams and co not to preach hatred?

Mailman

Comment

the last terrorist bombing in London

Originally posted by Mailman
                You might be able to remind us...but when was the last terrorist bombing in London that was carried out by a kiwi?
                Well, when was the last terrorist bombing in London (before last week) that was carried out by a muslim?

Actually, we don't know who did last week's - it could have been a Kiwi.

Comment

Mailman said --> "You might be able to remind us...but when was the last terrorist bombing in London that was carried out by a kiwi?"

I thought the emphasis on this thread was immigration as a whole, so I mentioned the tax dodgers among us, no doubt terrorising the Inland Revenue.
                  I wasn't suggesting Kiwis were into terrorist bombing.

Comment

very good point wendigo100
                    the only guys with a history of terrorism in London are Irish... and they can enter the UK freely.
                    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X