• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This sounds a bit over complicated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sounds a bit over complicated

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nroads105.xml

But then - it seems its Ruth Kellys idea again...

Last edited by ratewhore; 5 March 2008, 11:11. Reason: my link disappeared
    Older and ...well, just older!!

I'd be in favour of them banning trucks from overtaking each other (in effect creating a 55mph road block seeing as they're limited, numpties), unless in emergencies.

I can well understand why many motorists hog the outside lane. Less chance of some cretin in a truck pulling out in front of you when someone's in the process of overtaking you so you've no option but to slam on and hope for the best.

As for charging by speed travelled. Does that mean we get money back when stuck in traffic jams!?

Maybe if they had an outside lane for 80-100mph only, and fines for going slower than that, they'd be thinking in the right direction.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Answers on the back of a fiver please...

Is it just me, or is every single piece of legislation this government introduces designed to extract more cash from us in the form of stealth taxes these days?

If the Conservatives take over, will they dismantle any of this? I don't think so. We'll be feeling the pain in our wallets for decades to come, thanks to this bunch of thieving b'stards.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        Is it just me, or is every single piece of legislation this government introduces designed to extract more cash from us in the form of stealth taxes these days?

If the Conservatives take over, will they dismantle any of this? I don't think so. We'll be feeling the pain in our wallets for decades to come, thanks to this bunch of thieving b'stards.

No it's not just you - but have you noticed that it's not just the direct costs they are after - they want to set up plenty of admin too so they can keep some more of their pals in work one way and another. Don't forget the other objective of the scheme will be to slow the flow of traffic, create confusion and more "problems" which the govenment and civil servants will then have to "solve"
        Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 5 March 2008, 11:49. Reason: spelling - will I never learn?

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          But then - it seems its Ruth Kellys idea again...

I don't think so!

Toll lanes, which were proposed by the Tories before the last election, are now seen by the Government as one of a series of options to tackle congestion. Miss Kelly said the debate on a national road pricing scheme had become "sterile".
          But then this labour government can't think up reasonably good ideas by itself, it's just the Tories in disguise - ever since TB got into power.
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

It's only fair.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Its not just that, its the almost pointless tinkering which seems to exist solely to justify the governments existance.

Sort the rail (for freight and passengers) and public transport out first.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                I'd be in favour of them banning trucks from overtaking each other (in effect creating a 55mph road block seeing as they're limited, numpties), unless in emergencies.
                Yes, I'd also be in favour of banning cars from doing under 65 unless in emergencies.

I'd say on an average day I have to overtake about 10-15 cars going slower than 55mph ffs!. As will every lorry on that motorway behind me.

That causes tailbacks as cars are forced to the outside lane.

Comment

I love reading the comments after these Telegraph articles. Some of these people make Nicky G sound reasonable.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Its not just that, its the almost pointless tinkering which seems to exist solely to justify the governments existance.

Sort the rail (for freight and passengers) and public transport out first.
                    But there's no incentive for the government to improve public transport as they don't gain anything from it.

They can continue to milk the poor motorist until the motorist squeals and still come back for more as there is no organisation with the teeth to say no to them.
                    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Working...
                    X