• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Relocating to somewhere nice and warm..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relocating to somewhere nice and warm..

Most available contracts in my field tend to be in either London, Benelux, Scandinavia....or a mare of a drive down the M6/M42........from the North West.

The idea of making a move abroad (South France / Spain ) to somehwere nice and sunny but still within easy striking distance of the above places is becoming more and more appealing to me!

Anyone done this? Any major gotchas?

Most of my work still comes through (UK based) agencies....have me own Ltd which I assume would have to go the distance...

Cheers All

Just make sure you go to the right place for your social requirements. Spain is for working class, France for middle class, and Switzerland is for upper class.

In 6 years of being an expat, I've worked in the UK once, for 10 weeks. I don't plan on doing it again.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I know someone that had a nice place in spain and commuted to london and back each week. So there's always that to fall back on if you end up abroad and the work dries up.

I'd consider it too, but I hate flying and only do so out of necessity a few times a year for holidays.

For the M6/M42 jaunt, I found travelling out of peak hours to be more bareable, such as coming back up north early saturday morning instead of friday evening. Though until they get round to extending the M6 toll up to manchester it will always be prone to long delays due to numpty driving or badly planned road works.
      Last edited by PAH; 5 March 2008, 15:40.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

India is nice and warm. Lots of work there too.

Comment

I was looking at Northern France on the basis that like you I spend 4 - 5 hours travel up north from London every week and recon it would take about the same time (or less) to get to most of the major airports in France,

Prices are very attractive i.e. farm house and a bit of land in need of renovation for around 50k,although that’s rapidly changing as a lot of people are cottoning on to this, still mulling it over as her indoors is constantly umming arring over the merits of living abroad.
          Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
            I was looking at Northern France on the basis that like you I spend 4 - 5 hours travel up north from London every week and recon it would take about the same time (or less) to get to most of the major airports in France

Wouldn't it be faster (or certainly an option) to drive through the chunnel to northern france rather than fly? Whenever I've been through the chunnel you can turn up late and still get through, so don't need to worry about sticking to a booked time slot.

Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
            Prices are very attractive i.e. farm house and a bit of land in need of renovation for around 50k,although that’s rapidly changing as a lot of people are cottoning on to this, still mulling it over as her indoors is constantly umming arring over the merits of living abroad.

Maybe renting over there whilst searching for a suitable home would allow you to get a feel for the place before you made a big commitment. Having to learn French is what would put me off, or any other language come to think of it.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Once the initial excitement has worn off it ceases to be quite as wonderful as you'd envision. In fact, it can be downright difficult and isolating.

My advice is that as soon as you've moved, get to know the expats in the area. Even if the locals are a friendly, sociable bunch, and you're fluent in their lingo, it'll be years before you can relax in quite the same way as you can with people who've grown up with the same cultural norms.

And it's pretty cool when you've got a bunch of friends round, and you realise there's not an expat among them!

I can't say I enjoy living abroad more than being in the UK, but it's certainly stimulating, and I wouldn't move back in a hurry. It's handy for the ski slopes too.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

My advice is that as soon as you've moved, get to know the expats in the area. Even if the locals are a friendly, sociable bunch, and you're fluent in their lingo, it'll be years before you can relax in quite the same way as you can with people who've grown up with the same cultural norms.
                I made sure I got away from the expats as soon as possible and hung with the locals. After 18 odd years here now, I know I made the right choice (especially when you read the expats notice boards.)
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post

Most available contracts in my field tend to be in either London, Benelux, Scandinavia....or a mare of a drive down the M6/M42........from the North West.

The idea of making a move abroad (South France / Spain ) to somehwere nice and sunny but still within easy striking distance of the above places is becoming more and more appealing to me!

Anyone done this? Any major gotchas?

Most of my work still comes through (UK based) agencies....have me own Ltd which I assume would have to go the distance...

Cheers All
                  Billy,

A bit late in this thread I know, here's my 2pence!

I've done this for the best part of 4 years and living outside the UK has many advantages especially schooling for kids. Ensuring you have adequate contract work is the difficult part.

I'm now on the contract merry-go-round finding my next gig and we'll see where it takes me. If you get the opportunity then give it a try, mix with the locals, sort out the legals and after a year or 2 it'll feel like home.

And just like 'not all there' you won't want to come back to the smog in a hurry. The biggest challenge is doing it...You can think of a million reasons why you can't and maybe 10 reasons why you should.

If your not careful you'll be retired and never done it. IMHO just do it, give a try, if you hate it you can always come back. However do it right and your set for life.

Comment

Working...
                  X