• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Expenses Question !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Expenses Question !!

If working away from home and staying away overnight I'm aware you can claim a £5 subsistence allowance. As opposed to a hotel / b&b I'm staying with some friends but I pay them a little for accomodation. Is there any way of getting expenses back from Ltd Co without having to ask friends for an Invoice, which no-one would like to do. How do you go about it, or is there no way?

Thanks

You need proof you spent the money. So a receipt is the only way - esp if you are paying cash.

Comment

You need a receipt.

They can claim under the Rent A Room scheme and not pay any tax on the money they receive, up to a limit of about £80 a week (IIRC).
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Solent:

Yes. Up to £25 quid.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM30073.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          If you have a dispensation that covers that, then up to £25 is reasonable.

I'm guessing that Solent does not have a dispensation, though, in which case a receipt would be needed.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Thanks for your replies, appreciated

Comment

limit is 4250 per tax year

rent a room limit is £4250 per tax year.
              I had exactly same problem today. Got my friend to write a reciept since it doesn't actually burden them tax wise to do so.

It's still less than 25 per night dispensation though for that you need an umbrella company.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                It's still less than 25 per night dispensation though for that you need an umbrella company.
                Nope - for that you need a dispensation.

Umbrella companies have a dispensation, but that does not mean that they are the only companies that do. I have one for my company, for example.

Plus, the guidelines are quite clear - you need to incur the expense!!! Even with a dispensation, the company needs to undertake reasonable checks that you incurred the expense.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by HMRC
                  Consequently if the employer pays the employee a reasonable overnight allowance for expenses incurred staying with the friend or relative, this allowance may be included in a dispensation as long as the employer has processes in place to check that the employee stayed with a friend or relative and that the employee incurred an expense.
                  If they don't have the processes to make the checks, then it cannot be claimed.

If HMRC do an audit, they you are in trouble - same as if you claim for anything else that you don't actually spend.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

If they don't have the processes to make the checks, then it cannot be claimed.
                    What is a reasonable process for making checks? I know if I send an employee to work on a client site that he's going to be claiming some expenses. If he claims £100 a night for the hotel, and £40 for the meals, that's not unreasonable, given that I know he really is working away from home. Is checking the expenses are within reasonable limits sufficient? Do HMRC have any guidelines about what checks the employer should make?

Anyway in ltdco cases the employer has an excellent checking procedure - the MD accompanies the employee.

Hmm. Let's see. I work away from home. My company has a procedure of checking employee expenses by sending someone to check. My wife could do that. As she's only with me in order to fulfill the company checking policy, that's entirely necessarily and solely for business purposes, so the company can pay her expenses too!

In fact, when we take our holiday in the Seychelles, she should also come with me, so that she can disallow the expense. Then her expenses are paid for by the company.
                    Last edited by NotAllThere; 7 March 2008, 07:00.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X