• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone see this before???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see this before???

Had a response from an agency with the following...

Following a recent change in legislation we are now required by law to
    agree terms before we can process your registration and begin looking
    for work for you. Your details will be kept on file and in the event
    that any future requirements received from a client that potentially
    match your skills and experience we will contact you to obtain agreement
    to those terms.

Is this bull or actual legislation

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Had a response from an agency with the following...

Following a recent change in legislation we are now required by law to
    agree terms before we can process your registration and begin looking
    for work for you. Your details will be kept on file and in the event
    that any future requirements received from a client that potentially
    match your skills and experience we will contact you to obtain agreement
    to those terms.

Is this bull or actual legislation
    Sounds like bovine excrement to me.......

Comment

Rubbish.

Ring them and ask which legislation has recently changed, so that you can make sure that you are only dealing with agencies who conform to this new requirement.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Wassat mean then, agree terms?

They talking about working hours, rates, substitution ??? Sounds like bollocks to me.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Yeah thought it was carp....

Comment

Conduct of employment agents act states that they must agree terms with you before they put you forward.

Do any of you know what you are doing?
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Meaning how much the rate is

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                Conduct of employment agents act states that they must agree terms with you before they put you forward.
                That's very different from "before we can process your registration and begin looking for work for you" though. I have no qualms about agreeing my terms for a specific role, but there's no way that I can agree terms for something that I don't know what it is, where it is, or for how long.

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                Do any of you know what you are doing?
                No.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I imagine they want to decide whether or not your company wants to opt out of the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Act, before they start introducing you to clients. That would be the right way to go about it.

They have described it very vaguely because agencies never ever understand the legislation that affects them. Their usually come up with rubbish like "You can sign this to opt out of IR35 until the 2 year rule kicks in".

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    That's very different from "before we can process your registration and begin looking for work for you" though. I have no qualms about agreeing my terms for a specific role, but there's no way that I can agree terms for something that I don't know what it is, where it is, or for how long.
                    No its not. Go read the regs again.
                    It is not about discussing the nitty gritty for a specific job that they are required to do, it is about discussing the parameters for work they can find you.
                    What sort of roles you are looking for and how much you would require to do them.
                    If you say PM positions then they should not keep ringing with developer roles. If you say 40 an hour then they ..... you know this.

They are also required to have enough details of a contract to offer you before asking if you want to be put forward so all these agents on jobsites and on the phone stating they have no idea about the rate are either telling porkies or breaking the law.

I may be wrong (but I dont think so). WHeres Mal or (god forbid) Denny when you need em.

Read Section 14 and see if what was said to the OP matches.
                    Last edited by The Lone Gunman; 6 March 2008, 20:26.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X