• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

facade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

facade

afternoon all,

what colour shall we paint the house ?
    Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 6 March 2008, 16:28.

Could the problem be carp software though?

Comment

Sounds like you haven't been doing your backups Milan. Best get some more tapes in that drive.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

No.

My clients pay me for expert advice and guidance - it's my job to tell them things that they may or may not want to hear. Depending on the client, and my relationship with them, the only thing that I would change is the way that I phrase it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          No.

My clients pay me for expert advice and guidance - it's my job to tell them things that they may or may not want to hear. Depending on the client, and my relationship with them, the only thing that I would change is the way that I phrase it.
          Wot he said.

Comment

hmmmm

Milan.
            Last edited by milanbenes; 6 March 2008, 16:28.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              who cares about the software, the software won't be changed,

therefore

performance can only be solved by more hardware resources and less virtualisation, less systems per host

so the Benes recommendation will be to do a system utilisation analysis of each system running on the host and see what is using what and whether systems can be moved to other less utilised hosts

and then, in two months time, on the hosts we moved the systems to, with organic growth, we'll be doing the same again, and so the facade continues

when we all know the answer is to spend more money on hardware and cpu and ram

ahh well pays the bills dunnit

Milan.
              Yep.

Comment

afternoon all,

do any of you ever feel like telling the customer how it is, like, your systems aren't performing cos you need to get your effing cheque book out and spend some money on more hardware

but then think, well, it pays well, and such feedback will rock the boat, so let's just continue the facade of, golly gosh, the systems are slow, let's do some performance anaylsis for the umpteenth time and put together an action plan of things that won't solve anything because we all know deep down the only solution is to spend money on more hardware

rant over

Milan.
                I already told you that stuff you are working with is tulip ( hence ideal for lining your own pockets while the client fails to work it out ). At my last gig the software provider 'cough cough' brought their experts in to 'tune it' and they got precisely nowhere, its performace when they finished was double tulip. The Java stuff is the main problem, apparently !

Comment

who cares about the software, the software won't be changed
                  I guess it depends on when during the development / testing cycle you catch this. If you are talking post-implementation, then the chances of the software being changed are low; if you are still pre-implementation then there is a good chance that the software can be modified.

Also depends on how much customization there is involved in the slow-performing bits of the code. There's plenty of opportunity in Oracle to tweak a few things here and there to improve performance of the software, rather than needing to modify hardware.

Hardware tuning really should be the last line for a decent Oracle developer / DBA to deal with.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

its a big decision

Milan.
                    Last edited by milanbenes; 6 March 2008, 16:29.

Comment

Working...
                    X