• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not sure who I am angrier with....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure who I am angrier with....

The bastard who stole my wallet* or the incompetent numpty at the local branch of a major high street bank who let them withdraw over £2000 in cash from my account, over the counter, on the strength of a forged signature and my photo card drivers license as proof of ID

*From a locked locker in the changing rooms of my local gym no less.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Odd that they'd let the thief withdraw so much cash without running through all the rigmarole of phoning first etc. etc.

If it's clearly a case of negligence on the banks part (for instance letting a black lady pass herself off as the white male on your licence) then you'll normally get the cash back. Eventually.

Name and shame the bank!
    Last edited by 51st State; 6 March 2008, 17:17.
    If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

The bank should have CCTV of who actually made the withdrawal with your ID. If it clearly isn't you and the signature doesn't look like yours, I'd have thought the bank should be taking the hit.

Could have been worse mate: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2005...neysupplement1

Comment

Most bank fraud is internal. Teller was probably slipped a few notes.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Nowt against the rules it seems. I drew out £1600 from my own savings account last week armed only with a passport which they only glanced at. They had also told me by phone a driver's licence was sufficient.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I hate thieves. Almost as much as I hate bananas.

Rhubarb.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              Most bank fraud is internal. Teller was probably slipped a few notes.
              Seems so - From the article Dim Prawn cited:

In the summer, banks were forced to tighten security after a ring of Indian call centre workers was exposed for selling private information from UK bank accounts.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                *From a locked locker in the changing rooms of my local gym no less.
                An employee perhaps? I'd be super flying TNT.

Leave a mouse trap in your wallet... and get done for GBH.

Last week soneone put a brick, sandstone block like the size of a loaf of bread, in the car window also damaging the bonnet.

My excess is high because I need a company that can insure me outside the UK, so I've had to cough up £1100 so far for repairs.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

this is the funny thing about car insurance in the uk and the mainland

on the mainland a 12 months greencard for all of europe is a standard piece of the car insurance

in the uk it's a nightmare and expensive to get such a condition

funny old world

Milan.

Comment

Latest developments

After much time spent in the depths of this banks telephone system I'm getting at least some of the money back.

Turns out they carried out two transactions at two branches.

At one they took out £950 in cash over the counter using the debit card and forged signature.

At the second they bought £1080 worth of Euros over the counter using the account number and sort code on the card and the drivers licence as proof of ID.

The 1st one I is the one I'm getting the money back for now since it was a debit card fraud and the banks debit card fraud dept. can deal with it directly.

Since the second one was a fraud carried out without the use of the card it has to be dealt with by the branch where it happened.

Figure that one out if you can.

Been promised I will be fully refunded within 2 weeks.

Solicitor is currently on defcon 3.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X