• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going direct...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going direct...

Anyone had experience of trying to get gigs direct from a company without a recommendation. I have my reservations as to if it would be worth the effort..

Starting to get a bit P$$$ at not getting any interviews from the pimps...

I think my CV is pretty good and I'm being proactive in following up appllications.. (some might say a waste of time but hey ho)

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Anyone had experience of trying to get gigs direct from a company without a recommendation. I have my reservations as to if it would be worth the effort..

Starting to get a bit P$$$ at not getting any interviews from the pimps...

I think my CV is pretty good and I'm being proactive in following up appllications.. (some might say a waste of time but hey ho)
    I am currently direct, but it was on a recomendation, thing to remember is you have to go through the companies invoicing system which can mean a longer wait for your money (as I'm finding out).
    Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

But in genaral terms are most companies up for employing contractor services direct???

Comment

But in genaral terms are most companies up for employing contractor services direct???
        No, they have "preferred suppliers" of technical people, aka agencies.

Comment

The only times I have worked direct have been with smaller companies who are keen to cut out the agency costs.

If you want to work for a FTSE company then you had better have contacts there if you want to go direct.

Edit: I have gone on to work direct for larger companies after having worked through an agency.

Comment

They used to be, but more and more they are employing some sort of vendor management system i.e an agency to deal with the agencies
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Bummer

Comment

Yep. About 20% of my work is based on letters/e-mails/phone calls that I send out.

Finding the people that will be interested is the problem. For me I just look at the local courts for applications and decisions and nick the logistics company names off that.

Seems to work well.

Comment

No. Generally companies want the necessary resources without hassle, at an acceptable price. Usually they have become convinced that the way to achieve that is to hand the process over to HR, or a "preferred" agency, or both. These people do not have at heart the company's interests, or yours, or good sense. Why should they take you on direct? What do they gain by that? Remember, getting what the company needs for a lower cost does not benefit HR. Paying way over the odds for useless morons to a bunch of con men who slip them backhanders, does benefit them. Not that that ever happens of course.

Comment

I am currently direct on one contract - but that was because I had worked with that director before at another company - through an agency.
                    But in another section of the company I have been asked to go through an agency because the paperwork is less.

Anyway, in some companies you must go through an agency because the procurement system with purchased orders and such create so much paperwork that its just easier for them and you to go through an agency.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X